We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Khoa Lak to Koh Samui

Lancs
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Khoa Lak to Koh Samui

We are staying in Khoa Lak for 12 days in May and this will be a much needed rest for us. However, we have a friend who lives in Koh Samui, who we would dearly love to visit. We are reluctant to use up 3 days of our precious time in Thailand travelling to and fro, and we are not sure how easy it is to travel to KS from KL.

I wonder would it be possible to make the trip (and back) in one (long!) day, by flying etc. (seeing our friend for a few hours would be just great) or would this be prohibitively expensive?

We visited Sri Lanka a couple of years ago, and found that distances on a map were very deceiving - a place that geographically looked quite near, would take hours to get to by car. Is this the same in Thailand? Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Maggie x

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Khoa Lak to Koh Samui

You can travel to Samui in two ways:

1. By road (taxi or slower but cheaper bus)to Surat Thani then ferry to Samui. Ferries run every hour from 6am, take 1.5 hrs and cost 380 baht each way. Last ferry back is 6pm from Samui. - see http://www.1stopsamui.com/getting_here/ferry/

It takes about 3 hours from Khao Lak to Surat Thani, so it will be a long day with limited time to visit your friend depending at which part of the island he lives.

2. By air from Phuket. 1 hour to Phuket airport (taxi 1000 baht each way with Cheaper than Hotel Taxis in Khao Lak) then 55 min flight with Bangkok Airways to Samui. First flight is 09:35, return last flight is 17:30, cost (at moment) is about 5150 ( £105) pp return.

By road cheaper but less visiting time. Lot of money for a day visit. by air.

Lancs
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Khoa Lak to Koh Samui

Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply - just what we required, I think we will try the taxi/ferry option.

Thanks again, Arandora.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Khoa Lak to Koh Samui

You have to add in the time from Surat Thani to the pier which is another hour. So the total trip is around 6 hours each way.

A taxi to Don Sak Pier was 3,000 baht a couple of years ago but I imagine it is now closer to 4,000 baht. This will get you to the pier in 3 hours and will cut your time a bit.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Khoa Lak to Koh Samui

Hi Maggie - you are very lucky to have a friend in KS. I would not try to do a one-day return trip. At least an overnighter, or 2 nights - KS is a beautiful island, and you will be sorry once you get there if you had not decided to stay at least overnight. My wife and I have been there twice now since 2007 and are planning a 3rd visit soon. Cheers.

Lancs
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Khoa Lak to Koh Samui

Hi

Thank you, Bluesontherise (& KhaolakYoga). I really appreciate your advice.

I think it will have to be an overnight stay, and, it will mean that we get to see the island a little, as you say.

It's getting quite near now, and we're getting quite excited!!

Cheers

Maggie

6. Re: Travelling from Khoa Lak to Koh Samui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 18:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak