We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather - is it really that bad?

uk
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
weather - is it really that bad?

I went to Krabi in April last year and the weather was great. We are due to go to Khao lak in a couple of weeks. Has the weather there really been as bad as some people have mentioned? Is this pattern likely to continue? Am I asking an impossible question and do I sound desperate???

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather - is it really that bad?

In a word, Yes, unfortunately. I believe you've had more sunshine in UK in last few days than we have had here and people have been flocking to the beaches in the sweltering 18C heat! Although cloudy and considerable amount of rain it has still remained about 30C during day and not a lot less in the evening.

I understand it is because of a huge bank of low cloud stretching from Australia across Indonesia and Philippines to SE Asia but that after a possibly rough weekend it is due to dissipate next Monday, so, hopefully, you and us for rest of our time here will be OK.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,492 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather - is it really that bad?

Hi Alan

I bet you had perfect weather in WA. Where are your reviews????

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather - is it really that bad?

Apart from a couple of dull/rainy days - bit like good summer days in UK! - perfect weather. Reviews on the way on Perth Forum.

London
Level Contributor
147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather - is it really that bad?

Been here since Tuesday and its been grey every day with constant drizzle. Right now ( Saturday night) it absolutely pouring. I'm not a happy bunny saved really hard for this holiday and feel its been spoilt. Its supposed to get better from Monday / Tuesday buts thats no consolation as we leave Tuesday lunchtime :0( ..... not the best use of £900

The UK on the other hand had had loads of sunshne ...

London
Level Contributor
147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather - is it really that bad?

Been here since Tuesday and its been grey every day with constant drizzle. Right now ( Saturday night) it absolutely pouring. I'm not a happy bunny saved really hard for this holiday and feel its been spoilt. Its supposed to get better from Monday / Tuesday buts thats no consolation as we leave Tuesday lunchtime :0( ..... not the best use of £900

The UK on the other hand had had loads of sunshne ...

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather - is it really that bad?

You have my heartfelt sympathy, I'm stuck in bungalow on Samui waiting for the torrential rain to ease off so I can go eat :-( Ive been here 9 days and so far only 3 part sunny days. Where are you??

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weather - is it really that bad?

As this is the Khao Lak Forum, Nads320 presumably is in Khao Lak.

We have been in Khao Lak since the end of last November and we have never experienced this weather, which locals say is more like Wet than Dry Season, in all the vyears we have visited Thailand, let alone Khao Lak. We went to Phuket yesterday in search of the sun but just the same there! Still it could be worse. As I understand it from our site owner, they are experiencing flooding 250km south of Khao Lak and Samui has been under a Severe Weather Warning for today and tomorrrow.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weather - is it really that bad?

We were in Khao Lak at the beginning of Feb for 8 nights and the first 2 it rained in the afternoon for a couple of hours and we thought we were hard done by, last year we were in Krabi at this time and I remember having more rain than we expected for this time of year and the year before we were in Phuket at this time for 6 nights and we had rain every afternoon at about 15.00 and it didnt stop until around 19.00 so it is so difficult to predict we have also had stays between Feb/March in Southern Thailand with no rain at all and blue sky every day. I know how you feel because for us English we just have to have the sun it makes our holidays and to go so far and it cost such a lot it is a disappointment but totally out of anyones control. We always stay in a city and beach so if the weather is wet at least the city part there are things to do, was planning to go back to Khao Lak this time next year but a bit worried as weather patterns are definitely changing, not sure what to book, the best weather we had in Thailand was over Xmas and New Year we had two weeks of total sunshine about 5 years ago.

I hope the weather improves for you all and back to drawing board on holidays for next year.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weather - is it really that bad?

This time last year there was no rain at all from February until we left after Songkran and a cloud was a rare sight. It was so hot for the last two weeks and hardly any wind. So who can say what it will be like next year in Khao Lak or anywhere!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
London
Level Contributor
147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: weather - is it really that bad?

Had a dry morning this morning and the sun was hot enough to feel through the cloud so was able to lie out on the beach for a couple of hours.... and then rain again.

As long as I can get a couple if hours a day then its not too bad... though blue sky rather than hazy cloud would be best .. fingers crossed eh !!!

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak