We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What food places to go??

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
What food places to go??

I will be staying at FX khao lak and i wonder where can i eat near the hotel? preferably cheaper as we are on a low budget.. we dont mind walking for abit.

Thanks in advance!

Little Italy
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Italian, Pizza, Barbecue
Pam's Restaurant & Bar
₹, Seafood, Asian, Thai
Siam Turmeric
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Seafood, Fast food, Deli
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What food places to go??

You don't say when you are staying at the FX but in any event there are loads of eating places around you in Bang Niang (Thai, Indian, Steaks and Pizzerias) both on or overlooking the beach and on the surrounding roads. Most are lower priced than their equivalents just 10 mins by taxi down the road in the main township of Bang La On where there is a greater choice.

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What food places to go??

I'm going in the late july period. how much would taking the cab to bang on cost?? And for the food places on bang niang beach. What would be the approximate budget per meal?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What food places to go??

July will be Wet Season so0 some restaurants will be closed, particularly those on the beach. A taxi (saeng thaw - truck with two benches) to Bang La On would cost about 250 - 350 baht.

Typical prices in Bang Niang for a Thai meal:

starter about 80 baht, main 100 - 150 baht, seafood a bit more expensive, fish a bit more, tiger prawns (large) much more. In Bang La On about 20 - 50 baht per item more expensive in some places.

Pad Thai (noodles with prawn or chicken) 30 - 50 baht on street stall, for example outside Nang Thong Supermarket in Bang La On and opposite Book Tree next door to Boonyarit's Kitchen on highway leaving Bang La On.

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What food places to go??

Thanks for all the help! If there is more questions, i would ask you again.

Thanks again!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What food places to go??

You are very welcome.

Rockville
Level Contributor
75 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What food places to go??

We will be at the JW Marriott for a week from 25th May. I have seen some Youtube clips of beach restaurants/bars/Thai massage places adjacent to the hotel. I appreciate that nothing is definite, but is it likely that these places will be closed already at the end of May?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What food places to go??

If the Wet Season arrives late (although you might be forgiven for thinking that it has already arrived judging by the last week or so!) then a couple may remain open. However, we were there the other day and some had already closed until the next season. The owners have to take the view whether it is worth remaining open as the beach conditions worsen as they have to dismantle parts of the restaurant and secure the rest to face the elements over the next few months.

Rockville
Level Contributor
75 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What food places to go??

Thanks for that. We have already pencilled in a couple of places to check out to eat at - Chong Fah BBQ night/Happy Hour, Hill Tribes - is there anywhere else that you would consider a 'must eat'?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What food places to go??

* Khao Niau in Bang Niang just past 711 on the highway for authentic Isan cuisine.

* Smile Restaurant at the entrance to Bang La On where the dual carriageway starts coming over the mountain. Excellent modern Thai cuisine.

* Keeper Restaurant across from Smile for Thai tapas.

* Puw Khao Lak, also opposite Smile for all types of Thai and International selection.

* Everyday Lazy House last restaurant on your right leaving Bang La On for great Thai cuisine accompanied most nights by live music.

* Boonyarit's Kitchen just before Everyday on opposite side of the road (opposite Book Tree) for Thai, international and Indian cooked with Thai herbs.

* Joe's Steakhouse in Bang Niang for great steaks (including pork steak).

All of these should be open throughout Wet Season.

Edited: 26 March 2011, 06:42
Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Joe's Steakhouse
Joe's Steakhouse
213 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand