We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Development next to Khao Lak Resort

Reading
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
New Development next to Khao Lak Resort

I have just booked 10 days in the Khao Lak resort in April, but received a letter saying a new development will be starting next door in March, great! Apparently the side of the Khao Lak resort next to it will be closed due to this work, but I am still concerned. Should I be? Thanks!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Development next to Khao Lak Resort

The "new" resort next door is actually the former and one of Khao Lak's original premier resorts, The Similana, which was badly affected by the Tsunami and the site and buildings have been bought recently and are to be redeveloped. To what extent it will be a complete demolition or refurbishment of what is left, which is quite substantial, I'm not sure - but I know a man to find out from and I'll post more information when I find out.

It has the Khao Lak Resort on one side on Sunset Beach and the Laguna Resort on Nang Thong Beach on the other.

However, there is a buffer between both resorts and the Khao Lak Resort is a large linear type resort stretching along the beach with most facilities towards the centre so I would not expect there to be any significant intrusion by early stage rebuilding works.

Note:

This Similana not to be confused with the other Similana on Pak Weeb Beach that was demolished for redevelopment a few years ago now.

Edited: 16 February 2011, 21:21
Reading
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Development next to Khao Lak Resort

Thank you very much for that information, it is very helpful. I am going to stick with this resort as it has good reviews and seem ideally placed for what we want, i.e food and drink within walking distance and a nice beach!

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Development next to Khao Lak Resort

See Khao Lak Echo for details about the Similana rebuilding:

http://tinyurl.com/4tecnv7

Level Contributor
2,387 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Development next to Khao Lak Resort

Thank you for clarifying about this hotel, we walked past it often recently on our stay in Khao lak and wondered why it was being demolished and had assumed it could have been due to damage during the Tusami but as all the other resorts along the same beach look very nice and complete this is very noticeable. Lets hope they do built in Thai style and not like some of concrete jungles that tend to pop up. We oved the Paradise hotel because it is built in thai style and the rooms are quite individual and built amongst nature

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Development next to Khao Lak Resort

I'd also very much like to know more about this development as I am thinking of booking here for a holiday in late December. Any information would be much appreciated : )

6. Re: New Development next to Khao Lak Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2012, 06:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak