We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao lak, Khao Sok, Phangnga Bay & Phuket-best itinerary?

perth,WA
3 posts
Save Topic
Khao lak, Khao Sok, Phangnga Bay & Phuket-best itinerary?

Hi all,

I'm trying to work out the best itinerary to stay in these places all within 6 nights/7 days.

We are coming from Chaing Mai & thought to fly straight to Phuket, spend 1 or 2 nights then I'd really love to go north to Khao Lak (if necessary to stop there before heading to the rest) and from there we go to the Khao Sok National Park.

I've read about many good treks, tours etc with elephant rides, canoeing, tree top houses, jungle overnight stays, floating raft bungalows on lake etc. But with which company??

I think something like; 6th Mar arrive Khao Lak stay 1 night maybe, then go to Khao Sok to stay 2 nights (1 night in tree top house? & 1 night camping in jungle & treking to waterfalls etc)

Leave on 9th mar, head to Phangnga Bay for 1 night & hopefully fit in a canoe tour, then back to phuket to go home...? This last bit may be a bit squashed in, so what would you suggest?

I really like the idea of going into the jungle on the tours/treks but all the rest of it is up for negotiation. I haven't booked any flights or accom yet so open to suggestions. But I need to do it very soon.

Thanks for all the great info you all post!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
453 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao lak, Khao Sok, Phangnga Bay & Phuket-best itinerary?

Hi

Sounds like you have a wonderful trip partially planned.

I've just finished all our planning for our 1st Khao Lak trip for April. I have used this forum A LOT. However, I can't speak from experience but other TAers may direct you correctly if I'm not quite right!

We're staying in Khao Lak for a week and then going to Khao Sok for 3 nights. I've read so much here that I organised a driver to drive us to Baan Khao Sok Resort (go to the Khao Sok forum) as the owners said that they will organise all activities (good advice from the forum). I'm going to email our first afternoon activity (canoeing) so that can be arranged but I'm confident that all that we want to do can be organised when there. We especially want to do some jungle trekking with a guide. We are not interested in elephant trekking and many tours have this as an activity but I'm sure you could swap it with something else. We also have a night on the floating raft houses on the lake.

My second piece of advice is about Phang Nga Bay. On our last trip to Phuket, we did a fabulous Simba day trip to this bay. They pick up from your hotel so I'd suggest you do a day trip when you stay in Phuket. There are other companies if Simba are booked out. They take internet bookings only. Captain Mark's sailing trips are very popular which we hope to do one day.

I'm really looking forward to Khao Lak. Having more than 1 night there would be good but it sounds like you are squeezed for time.

Happy planning.

Edited: 21 January 2011, 12:27
norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao lak, Khao Sok, Phangnga Bay & Phuket-best itinerary?

hi, have a look at these sites;

www.khao-sok-explorer.e-monsite.com/

www.limestonelaketours.com/

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao lak, Khao Sok, Phangnga Bay & Phuket-best itinerary?

Hi,

Simba Sea Trips and Captain Mark from Phuket Sail Tours are very good and easily done from Phuket

www.simbaseatrips.com

www.phuketsailtours.com

Mr Sam car and driver from Phuket also does a fantastic trip which would be private to Phangnga which can be done from Khao lak or Phuket. You would drive to Bang Pat a fishing village built on stilts in phangnga bay and you are then taken by longtail boat to see the sights Jamea Bond Island, Koh Panyee sea gypsey village and also includes a wonderfull seafood dinner cooked while you are out in the boat. You can book this by contacting Sam by email

siam_intouch@yahoo.com

Julie

perth,WA
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao lak, Khao Sok, Phangnga Bay & Phuket-best itinerary?

Thanks everyone for your help, I've looked at these tour companies and they all look great.

I've decided to leave Phuket out and head straight to Khao lak from the phuket airport. Stay there 2-3 nights maybe at the Khaolak Palm Beach resort (seems good & I love the pictures of Nang Thong beach- anyone recommend it, know it or suggest better?)

Then I'd love to do a 3 day/2 night tour in Khao Sok. I was thinking of the Limestone Lake tour with 1 night on the floating lake huts (is there only one village?) & 1 night in either the tree house or the air con Cliff and River Jungle Resort. SO would you recommend the tree house or the other one?

My next main question is do we have to lug all our luggage with us to Khao Sok or can we leave it behind at the hotel? I'm thinking boat rides, little huts maybe not a great idea...

we could stay 1 night after back in Khao Lok after our jungle adventure, before returning to the airport to go home. Would they keep our stuff safe for us?

What do other people do??

many thanks,

tash

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao lak, Khao Sok, Phangnga Bay & Phuket-best itinerary?

Not much to add to the other great advice and links already given other than to endorse PJswan's recommendation to go the Khao Sok Forum for information there and in case I have misunderstood you, the Palm Beach (a very nice resort) is on Sunset Beach which is a nicer beach in my view to Nang Thong Beach which it is immediately adjacent to, See pics of Sunset Beach at picasaweb.google.com/CousinKL/SunsetBeach02…

As for leaving your luggage (a good idea if you are returning to Khao lak) I'm sure your resort would be happy to store it if you plan returning there for another day.

london
Level Contributor
985 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Khao lak, Khao Sok, Phangnga Bay & Phuket-best itinerary?

Hi there

We have just returned from Thailand and visited Khao Lak and Khoa Sok for the third time in two years.Needless to state we love this area.

I cannot overemphasise how lovely Khao Sok is , on one occasion we stayed in The Cliff and River , which was lovely , last year we just went on a day trip and this year we spent 2 nights in the treehouses at Khao Sok Nature resort. All options were great , but we probably enjoyed the treehouse the most.Last year we decided not to go to the lake , which of course we also regretted.

If you want to do the jungle and the river , Limestone Lakes Tours and Safaris as previously recommended ,offer both and the owner , an Australian lady, is really helpful,

Khao Lak is fine with a nice beach and is great for getting around. I am pretty sure that there are trips from Khao Lak to Phangna to canoe.

If you like snorkelling then try not to miss the Similan Islands or the Surin Islands. We have used Similan Diving Safaris on many occasions and they are also excellent. An even better option would be to stay on the islands in a bungalow or tent, SDS can organise this for you.

In Thailand all of these activities and more can be very quickly organised.

Happy travels.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
235 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Khao lak, Khao Sok, Phangnga Bay & Phuket-best itinerary?

May I ask how long is the journey and what would the cost be from Khao Lak to Khao Sok? Also, how good are the roads?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Khao lak, Khao Sok, Phangnga Bay & Phuket-best itinerary?

Khao Lak to Khao Sok is just over an hour by car/ taxi/mini bus on good main highways. A very straightforward drive. Cost of a taxi is about 1000 - 1500 baht.

9. Re: Khao lak, Khao Sok, Phangnga Bay & Phuket-best itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2012, 16:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations