We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking in restaurants?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking in restaurants?

Hi guys!

I have heard that smoking is acceptable in restaurants in Thailand. Is this true?

I respect everyone's right to do what they want but as someone with an incredibly acute sense of smell, I really can't stand being around smokers while eating. Is this the norm?

Just curious - to be honest, I was very suprised when I heard about it, although I guess I am just used to eateries being smoke free here in Victoria.

Cheers, Steph

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking in restaurants?

It depends on where you are. Technically it is banned in all public places but only Bangkok really enforces it. But you will find that all hotels will have a designated smoking area, as well, most tourist restaurants will have a smoking and non-smoking area.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking in restaurants?

As a reformed smoker (there's none worse!) I too don't like people smoking in restaurants anywhere, least of all in Khao Lak where we spend so much time. However, although there are anti-smoking laws in Thailand and in particular smoking in ENCLOSED restaurants is forbidden, most restaurants are open or open-sided and so a loop hole which smokers (particularly those from countries who do not have bans or perhaps do not enforce those bans) exploit and local owners do not enforce, although some seat smokers outside. This is the same throughout Thailand though not just Khao Lak with other areas enforcing the "ban" more or less vigorously.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking in restaurants?

Thanks for the info! I will just have to see when I get there I guess, I certainly won't let it ruin my holidays.

Only 15 weeks to go!!!!!!!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
921 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking in restaurants?

Yeah you do get a few , particularly the Europeans who mostly all seem to smoke still from what I have noticed,

But one thing to remember , nearly all the restaurants you eat at in Thailand are open air,

Its a bit like in Melbourne ...... eating at an out door cafe , or a beer garden with a roof.

So you should be right finding a table with plenty of fresh air.

5. Re: Smoking in restaurants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2012, 11:13
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak