We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of things..

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
A couple of things..

.. i'm now counting down to my holiday in Khao Lak (two weeks to go)

Does anyone know if there are buses going to Phuket? I've read that there are drivers to hire, but am just wondering if we want to go for the day (to the beach) and stay until the evening, how does the drive situation work?

Also, what are the must places to eat in? We're there for 10 days and really want to try as many great eating places as possible (we're staying at Ramada Resort)

I think that's it!

Thanking you in advance (all those who are out there at the moment hope you're having a blast)

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
1. Re: A couple of things..

phuket-guide.net/phuket_home/gettingaround.h…

the buses are a bit slow, as they keep stopping to pick up passengers but really cheap and u get to meet the locals--(keep your belongings safe btw)

they start off on the seafront near the holiday inn,patong, and go to phuket town , but only till about six o clock in the evening

or you can hire a car and driver for the day , just discuss the fare with him and how long you want him for

the price varies but it seems to be a max of 2000bht pr day

its the safest ways to get around imo(apart from the bus

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: A couple of things..

Hi,

Here is a timetable for buses from Phuket

.http://www.phukettourism.org/other/bus_time_phuket.htm

I quite often use a car and driver and they will transport you where ever you want to go and for how long will also stay into the evening then just agree a price. A good driver highly recommended contact Boss at

cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com

Must places to eat in you will find so many. I have never had a bad meal in Khao Lak and it is also fun finding new places

The Candle

Hill Tribes

Sunset Bar

Jai.s

Everyday LazyHouse

Julie

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: A couple of things..

Contact Boss at Cheaper than Hotel Taxis. He will quote you for driver and car for a day at cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com Public buses to Phuket runa all day long and are cheaper but as Andy has said in previous post they are slower and go to the Bus Station at Phuket Town so to get to a beach you will have to get another bus or taxi fdrom there. Anyway, why go to a beach in Phuket, the ones in Khao Lak are much better! :-)

There are loads of places to eat within minutes of the Ramada. See the FAQs on the top right of the forum and the map at www.khaolakforum.de/index.php…

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: A couple of things..

Thanks for the replies, really helpful. I will avoid the buses and check out the driver. Not that bothered about going to the beach, more to go shopping, was there last year and found a lovely little boutique in Kata with clothes that were completely different from the markets - a girl gotta shop!

Final question, does Khao Lak have those pancake style stalls? I adored them.

Thanks once again. Hope the sun is shining ; )

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: A couple of things..

Yes, it does have pancake stalls both in the main town of Bang La On (best ones outside Nang Thong Supermarket) and near where you are staying at the Ramada.

Perth
Level Contributor
511 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: A couple of things..

Hi alan, Do you know what they make the pancakes with. I am wheat gluten and dairy free. I find the thai food agrees with me but have had trouble asking the locals what is in the pancake mix? Would love to be able to eat them. Hopefully they are made of rice. Hope you are getting some sunshine now

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: A couple of things..

Hi Diane,

The pancakes are actually Roti, which is pan-fried bread. This would appear to be a typical recipe:

Ingredients

◦1 lb. unbleached white flour (3 1/4 cups)

◦1 1-2 tsp. sea salt

◦1 Tbs. sugar

◦1 egg, beaten

◦1 Tbs. whole milk

◦3/4 - 1 cup water

◦About 1/2 cup palm or peanut oil (palm oil yields better result)

◦1/4 cup butter (optional)

◦Curry sauce from a Muslim curry (for savory roti); or sweetened condensed milk and granulated sugar (for sweet roti); or curried meat stuffing for a mataba roti.

Not rice I'm afraid.

Lots of HOT sunshine today!!!

8. Re: A couple of things..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2011, 11:53