We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emerald Beach Resort

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
18 reviews
Emerald Beach Resort

In April this year we (family with 2 teen girls) visited Phuket for the first time, staying at Katathani, we loved Kata Noi beach. We are returning in April 2011 and want to see a different, quieter area of Thailand and have chosen to go to Khao Lak first then returning to Katathani. We want to stay at a cheaper resort in Khao Lak but still need to have a couple of pools and be on the beach. I have been looking at the Emerald Beach resort because it has great low rates (less than 1800 Thb for a standard room) for the time we are travelling, most other resort prices don't seem to drop to low season until after we arrive. I have checked the reviews however there are not many. Has anyone stayed there? Are the Sea View Deluxe Rooms worth the extra cost? What is the beach like? Are there any water sports available? Is it worth going to waterfalls at this time of year. Thanks to anyone that can help with these questions.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Emerald Beach Resort

Hi there,

The Emerald is located on Khao Lak (South) Beach which is the first beach you reach coming from Phuket, so is just an hour from the airport. It is separated by a headland and mountain road over Khao Lak Lamru National Park before dropping down into Bang La On, the main township of Khao Lak which is full of restaurants, bars and shops, 10 minutes away by taxi (please note not walkable, though some do, as it is twisty, steep in places, hot and dangerous!)

Khao Lak Beach is on a lovely bay with just a handful of resorts along a promenade. In addition to the restaurants of these resorts there are a few independents near the beach and more up on the highway. Go south from the Emerald and you are on the delightful and largely unspoilt Poseidon Beach that has a few massage places and restaurants and great views over to Tab Lamu, the starting point for trips to the Similan Islands.

Here are some pics of this beach area taken a few weeks ago picasaweb.google.com/CousinKL/KhaoLakBeach03… and more here from 2009/10 picasaweb.google.com/CousinKL/KhaoLakBeach…

The Superior Rooms are the basic rooms set back from the beach. A sea view is always better and the Deluxe rooms are near beach front. As far as I am aware there are no watersports, other than perhaps kayaks, certainly no motorised watersports anywhere in Khao Lak. There are a number of waterfalls in the area but even when full in the Wet Season or early Dry Season or in periods of heavy rain, none are really spectacular but do make a nice change from the beach. There is an elephant trekking centre on the highway just across from the entrance to the Emerald with ellies often being brought down to the beach at about 5pm for a bath in the sea.

Whilst May marks the start of the Wet Season when rates drop considerably, some resorts reduce their rates mid-April after Songkran, the Emerald being one of them. The Diamond Beach Resort is its sister and newer hotel, although both are only about 2 -3 years old, and may be worth considering.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: Emerald Beach Resort

Hi,

You will find Khao Lak south beach much quieter than the Kata beaches and kata noi . I am also a fan of Kata Noi beach which is beautiful . All of the beaches in Khao Lak are lovely. I always walked from the Katathani into Kata Noi village but as mentioned I would not do this from the Emerald .You will find its a 150b taxi fare for the 10 minute journey. However you do have a few restaurants in the area Joes Seafood is very good and also the Hello Bar on the highway. I would also agree with a seaview is always better.

Julie

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Emerald Beach Resort

Thanks for the wealth of information, I will have a look at the Diamond Beach resort for a comparison alhtough I don't seem to be able to find raes to match the Emerald. Great tip about the elies being brought fora swim in the late afternoon, that is something our teens will love. We know that Khao Lak beach wll be much quieter than Kata and that is just what we are after. We are really looking forward to seeing a more relaxed part of Thailand

4. Re: Emerald Beach Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2011, 10:55
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak