We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain Plans?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
46 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Rain Plans?

We are headed to Khao Lak next week and the forecast still calls for rain, rain and more rain! Do snorkeling trips to Surin and Similan still run in this weather? I certainly don't mind a little rain, but if it's stormy I really wouldn't like to be on a boat.

Hoping for some sunshine!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain Plans?

Yes the trips still run. If the sea and currents are bad then they will cancel but otherwise they run as usual.

As for the rain, I am sure you have heard that this weather is very unusual for this time of year. Although it has been raining quite a lot it seems to come and go. It will be sunny for most of the day and then rain in the early evening.....Yesterday it did not rain at all and was a beautiful sunny day. Let's hope that it stays that way.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain Plans?

"... the forecast still calls for rain, rain and more rain"

It depends what forecast you are looking at. There isn't a weather station based on Khao Lak so whatever forecast you see is based on Thai Mueang, over the mountain and 40km or so to the South or on Takua Pa, 25km to the north and inland. Invariably forecasts will show thunderstorms or likelihood of them as that is the nature of the climate but very often it has been blissfully sunny here despite those predictions. Because Khao Lak occupies a relatively narrow strip between mountains and the ocean, the climate is different and often varies all along its coastline.

It would be very unusual for trips to the Similans or Surins to be cancelled in January as very often even if it is raining or cloudy on shore it will be clear and sunny at the islands.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
46 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain Plans?

Thanks for the update. Yes, it is very unusual weather. Keeping my fingers crossed for sunshine :-)

4. Re: Rain Plans?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2011, 10:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak