We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time in Thailand but think it will be our last......

Fleet, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
1st time in Thailand but think it will be our last......

It's not stopped raining here today and has been cloudy or rainy the last 4 days here in Khao Lak. We have been here since 22nd DEc and have only seen 2 nice sunny days, 2 weeks left so hope it improves. Everyone says this isn't normal but I'm not so sure......back to sunny Goa again next year for us!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Goa
Goa
India
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time in Thailand but think it will be our last......

Hi,

Such a shame the weather is not wall to wall sunshine for you. In general past years December/ January/ February are the best months for guaranteed sunshine. The long range weather forecast is showing a mixed bag for Khao Lak but is showing sunshine as well. Hopefully the weather will pick up for you .

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,558 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time in Thailand but think it will be our last......

Hi,

Weather patterns seem to be changing everywhere in the last few years... Southern Thailand has had especially disappointing weather this November and December so I feel you you, it's not usually this bad, honest. I cut short my stay in the south this year, at least it was good in Bangkok and the North, maybe you could consider that option if it continues

cheers

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time in Thailand but think it will be our last......

They're predicting rain for Goa this time next year unfortunately.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,558 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time in Thailand but think it will be our last......

Sorry, should read "... so I feel for you"

TA won't let me edit the post

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time in Thailand but think it will be our last......

You've just been unlucky and dont let it put you off returning. The weather has been crazy this year. I was up in Isaan when the major floods hit in October causing chaos, many deaths and damage. I then went down to Samui which was a total washout for another week but it was the first time I have experienced any particularly bad weather from any of my trips. I have just booked another flight for my sixth trip to Thailand and cant stay away. For me its not the weather that makes a trip.

Hopefully things will improve over the next couple of weeks for you. If you do go again maybe try slightly later like Jan/Feb which should be the driest time. Or just stick with your safe option of course.....

Edited: 31 December 2010, 16:05
Mentioned in this post
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time in Thailand but think it will be our last......

Stick to Goa. You'll be much better off as it never rains there.

Edited: 31 December 2010, 16:16
Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time in Thailand but think it will be our last......

Ignore bbtony. It's a long way to Goa to Tipperary! It just shows how erratic the weather is. It was beautiful walking from Bang Niang to Nang Thong beach this morning, rain only starting at about 1pm. Since then it has bucketed down and has hopefully stopped now for the night, which is great as partying on the beach. Couldn't do that back in Blackpool!

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
73 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time in Thailand but think it will be our last......

Wish I was partying on the beach to all have a good one.

Julie

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time in Thailand but think it will be our last......

I have lived in Thailand for over 5 years and I can tell you that this weather is not normal. I have never seen as much rain as I have the past few months.

I am sorry that this discourages you from returning but as mentioned above I think the weather has been going a bit mad every where in the world.

Thailand really is a beautiful country and I hope that you will soon have a few sunny days.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
669 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time in Thailand but think it will be our last......

Sorry to hear about the rain. Like everybody else has said, it really is unusual to have that much rain at this time of year. The weather is really messed up, not just in Thailand, but just about everywhere else too.

Mentioned in this post
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak