We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A bit of snow

Cornwall
3 posts
A bit of snow

Well here I am, stuck in Slough. We should've been in Khao lak in time for breakfast on Monday but unfortunately it snowed over heathrow and, being the stars that they are, they haven't managed to reopen the runways yet. It wouldn't be so bad if people would keep us informed of any developments but, as Thai airs telephones are permanently engaged, I've had to twice take trains and tubes into their London offices to try and find out what's happening. Am I feeling annoyed? You bet I am, we've saved for 12 months for this holiday, only to have it shot to pieces by BAA's total inability to deal with anything out of the ordinary. Another point worth mentioning is the local tourist trade's greed when it comes to feeding off human being's misery. Hotel prices have almost trebled in 2 days, ours has risen from £62.50 a night inc breakfast, to tonights rate of £130 room only. I'm as bitter as the snow on the runways, sadly I won't thaw as quickly!

Cornwall
3 posts
1. Re: A bit of snow

by the way, I usually post here as sparkkzy but as I'm in an internet cafe, and not permanently logged in on my home pc, I couldn't remember my password. Tut.

Solihull, West Mids
Level Contributor
846 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: A bit of snow

What a shame - I feel so sorry for you. I agree it is the lack of information that is so annoying. We are due to fly out on Christmas Day with Air India from Heathrow - heaven knows if we will go. When will this stupid Country learn how to deal with a bit of snow!!!!! Keep your chin up and hopefully you will be sorted soon. It seems like things are starting to move a bit now. Good luck and keep us updated

London, United...
2 posts
3. Re: A bit of snow

I know how you feel. I shall be spending Xmas in the UK instead of Thailand. My flight has been cancelled and there is no chance of an alternative flight in the next couple of weeks. Sigh.

Plan B is slowly taking taking shape, but it will be in the UK and I won't be wearing any of the new beach clothes I bought. (Well, I could, but I'd be bl00dy cold. LOL.)

Hope you both manage to get away soon. Best of luck.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: A bit of snow

Totally inadequate to say I know but there is a lot of sympathy (and relief!) by those of us fortunate enough to be already out here, some watching the news anxiously about the prospects of getting home albeit being stranded in a tent at Phuket Airport may be a tad warmer than in ones BAA so obligingly has provided at Heathrow.

Even though visitor numbers here are low hoteliers had been looking forward to Xmas (as were retailers in UK and elsewhere) for a pick up in trade. One resort manager was telling me only last night that having posted the "Full Up" signs for his resort and Emailing agents not to send any more enquiries, he has now had to send Emails again advising of vacancies - for anyone fortunate enough to be able to get a flight out!

Most of us, including the Thais, cannot comprehend what people must be going through.

I just hope that as many of you as possible don't see your dream holiday turned into a nightmare.

All the Very Best Wishes from Khao Lak.

Fort St. John B.C
Level Contributor
241 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: A bit of snow

I feel so terrible for all of you!

Living in Northern Canada and dealing with snow for 6 or 7 months a year we still get snowed in! We don't leave until the beginning of March but I have nightmares about getting snowed or fogged in and being stuck.

Hope you make it out soon!!

Perth
Level Contributor
583 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: A bit of snow

And to rub salt into the wounds (perhaps BAA should be using the salt on the runways) the Aussies are starting to win the cricket. AND (touch wood) all is fine in Perth- Australia to fly to Khao Lak on 18 January.

Seriously, it is a shame for those who's holiday plans have been spoiled. Hope the snow clears soon and you can start to enjoy K.L.

tanmar

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,832 posts
386 reviews
7. Re: A bit of snow

I can not imgain how you feel, just hope you make it out soon.

Cornwall
3 posts
8. Re: A bit of snow

Thankyou for your good wishes etc. Thai air, after messing us about for 4 days, have just phoned and told us that they're cancelling our flights unless we can make our own way, at our own expense, to either paris or oslo. We've had enough of it now and are going home tomorrow. I sincerely hope that others in a similar situation have more luck than we have.

Bangkok, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,839 posts
71 reviews
9. Re: A bit of snow

Hi,

Sorry to hear that.. Thai did put up two extra sections yesterday on BKK-LHR-BKK to alleviate some of the backlog.. so that about 650 seats moving.. but just looking at their seat availability for the next 3 days, there is practically nothing open for sale.

Travel Safe,

Leeds
11 posts
10. Re: A bit of snow

I should have been in Bangkok tonight but Thai air tg911 was cancelled on Sunday. Took the baht I paid £1000 for on thursday back to first choice on Monday and they offered me £800 for it. They're now refusing to refund the total cost of the package holiday they sold me and I'm about £2200 out of pocket at the mo, happy Christmas first choice x

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak