We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hua Hin to Khao Lak

birmingham
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hua Hin to Khao Lak

Hi all,

I know this question has been sort of answered before but I was looking for some more concrete info if poss.

I will be staying in Hua Hin for 3nights, 4th - 7th January 2011 and then want to move on to Khao Lak.

I have read that the train to Surat Thani and then bus is a possibilty but has to be done over night. Would really want to travel on the day of the 7th if poss.

Could you please tell me if it is poss by direct bus in the day time and how long it would take? If not then I would prefer a night time bus rather than the train.

Thanks a lot for your info !!

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hua Hin to Khao Lak

Hi

Have a look at this link

www.tourismhuahin.com/busses-huahin.php

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hua Hin to Khao Lak

You can catch a bus from Hua Hinn to Surat Thani (every hour frm 9am to 11am) then c atch a bus from Surat Thani via Takua Pa to Khao Lak which takes about 3 hours.

See www.tourismhuahin.com/busses-huahin.php

and

http://www.khaolak-info.com/getting-there.htm

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hua Hin to Khao Lak

You should be aware that the last direct bus from Surat Thani to Khao Lak leaves at 3pm. If you miss it you will need to get a Phuket bound bus, get off in Khok Kloy, and then get a bus heading to Takuapa.

Another option is to go from Hua Hin to Chumpnon and get a bus from Chumphon heading to Phuket. These buses go through Khao Lak.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hua Hin to Khao Lak

The Bangkok-Phuket buses, those which stop in Huahin, also go through Khao Lak.

Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hua Hin to Khao Lak

I am not an expert on the buses but as far as I am aware and those buses I see on the roads the express buses operating Hua Hin to Phuket all take the Surat Thani route so not through Khao Lak.

The road through from Chumphon area to Ranong is a single road with lots of hills and bends so a slow road to travel.

If you are not on a tight budget you can of course get a car+driver from Hua Hin to take you and they will decide the fastest route. The dual highway south past Surat Thani and then heading through Phang Nga is so good now it's a fast route.

Car + driver would probably be in the B 6-7,000 range.

birmingham
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hua Hin to Khao Lak

Thank you so much all for your great info!!

Steve x

birmingham
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hua Hin to Khao Lak

Ok.

So I ended up going from Koh Tao to Khao Lak in the end which was really easy.

Just booked up with Fame Tours for 1200THB (probably got ripped off but it was convenient and didn't have time to research).

It was Catamaran from Koh Tao to Chumphon which took just over an hour, then quick transfer to an open air bus for half an hour to the centre of Chumphon. Here we were dropped off at Fame office where we waited for around an hour for the next bus. Had a suprisingly good Chicken Sandwich there, was really impressed!! Then two hour ac van trip to Ranong. Dropped off in Ranong and then straight onto an AC coach for around 4hour drive.

Was a long day travelling but pretty much hassle free and easy to follow which was my main concern. Think we set off at 09.00hrs and arrived around 20.00hrs so all in all around 11 hours travelling.

Must say Khao Lak was worth it!! By far our favourite part of the trip :)

8. Re: Hua Hin to Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2012, 11:14
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations