We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip Snorkelling at the Similan Island

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,386 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip Snorkelling at the Similan Island

Hi All,

Can someone please let me know if it is worth doing this trip? Is there a recommended tour company where we can just go snorkelling (not diving), and how long does the trip take to get to the Similan Island?

Many thanks for your help,

Cheers, Sandy

PS We will be in Khao Lak for 4 nights.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
700 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip Snorkelling at the Similan Island

Hi Sandy, we didnt go out to the islands so I cant comment but as I was reading the previous post I couldnt go past Cliff mentioning the Hill Tribe restaurant. Make sure you put this one on your list just for the food. Don't be put off if there are not many people eating at this place most nights we were the only one , I have not been able to find any restuarant to equal the food in Sydney and we eat in Newtown and the city often.

Mentioned in this post
Hill Tribe Restaurant
Hill Tribe Restaurant
900 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khaolak
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip Snorkelling at the Similan Island

Day trip to Similan Island is a must in Khao Lak. It is for snorkelling only, so you will be fine.

I would recommend either Fantastic or SeaStar company.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Seastar
Seastar
202 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip Snorkelling at the Similan Island

I agree with Khaolaker plus Khao Lak Land Discovery and Ruk Tulay. KLLD and SeaStar both depart from the pier at Tab Lamu, about 20 - 30 minutes from Khao Lak, depending on where you are staying and how many pick ups of others in your group on the way. Fantastic have their own departure point just a short distance past Tab Lamu. Ruk Tulay departs from Pakarang Beach. Speedboat trip takes about 75 minutes.

A newly operated destination for snorkelling has only recently emerged. It is at Koh Tachai or Tachai Island, which comes under the jurisdiction of the Koh Similans National Park. It is being sold as "Virgin Island" or "the Maldives of Thailand" and having enjoyed a day trip yesterday with SeaStar, one of only a few operators featuring this fabulous island, I can well see the similarities with the Maldives, albeit it has only a Ranger Station and good facilities for day tours. There is excellent diving well used by liveaboards and the coral, much damaged by the Tsunami, is thankfully beginning to emerge but does not yet offer the undersea beauty of the Similans or Surins. However, as an alternative to these destinations with time on the fantastic powder white beach with crystal clear water with snorkelling from the beach, it is a different a much more natural and serene destination.

I'll be writing a review and posting pics as soon as I can.

See http://www.seastarsite.com/index.php for more information.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak Land Discovery
Khao Lak Land Discovery
695 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Seastar
Seastar
202 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip Snorkelling at the Similan Island

Here are pics from Koh Tachai day trip picasaweb.google.com/CousinKL/KohTachaiForTA… - fuller review and information to follow.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip Snorkelling at the Similan Island

Great pics Alan - looks beautiful and not crowded!! We would definately be keen to do this in Feb when we are there. I'll keep an eye out for your review :)

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,386 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip Snorkelling at the Similan Island

Hi All,

Thank you for your recommendations - only 2 and a half months to go! Hope it's hot and sunny in March.

Alan, your everending supply of photos is fantastic - thank you so much.

Sandy

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip Snorkelling at the Similan Island

Life through a camera lens - why keep memories to yourself? ! :-)

8. Re: Day Trip Snorkelling at the Similan Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2011, 09:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak