We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP with hotel

Gunnedah, Australia
Level Contributor
316 posts
5 reviews
HELP with hotel

Our family of 6 are off to Khao Lak in June. Prior to that we will be in Phuket for a few days staying in basic accommodation. We are looking for something a little more resort like when in Khao Lak. We don't have a huge budget. We would like the hotel to have great pools with a seaview and within short walking distance to restaurants and bars. We will be happy with a family suite or 2 or 3 rooms.

Denise ;-))

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: HELP with hotel

A better idea of your budget will help identify potential accommodation for you, aprticularly if you are looking for any with suites which are not very plentiful in Khao Lak. However, in June accommodation prices are roughly half (sometimes less) than in Dry Season so you will have a greater choice.

Have a look at these sites for lists of accommodation and current High Season prices and then come back for more information on any.

khaolaklovers.com/Khao-Lak-Resorts-and-Hotel…

and

http://khaolak.de/khaolakbeach/home.htm

Do you want to be within walking distance or near restaurants and shops or does a quieter location appeal? If the latter, the 5* Le Meridien on Pak Weeb Beach has family accommodation and often great Low Season rates/offers and no doubt the new 4* Kantary Beach just up from it will too. Also the 4*J W Marriott on Khuk Khak Beach has Low Season offers. The 4* Ramada and La Flora Resorts on Bang Niang Beach are amidst restaurants and shops and well worth looking at. On Nang Thong Beach just down the road from the main township of Bang La On there are the Nang Thong Bay Resorts 1 & 2 (bungalow resorts), the Seaview, Suwan Palm and Laguna Resort to name just a few.

Gunnedah, Australia
Level Contributor
316 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: HELP with hotel

Thanks so much for your quick reply.

Our budget would ideally be around 2000 - 2200 Baht per room. There are 6 of us so will have to get 2 rooms. Our children are 23, 16, 14 and 10 so we don't need a kids club.

We do want peace and quiet after coming from Patong but think maybe we should be in the main area as it will be the low season and from what I have read about Khao Lak at that time of year it will be fairly quiet anyway. Is that right? I have also read that some retaurants can be closed during low season.

Thank you for your suggestions Arandora. I will start researching these now and let you know how I go.

Denise

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: HELP with hotel

Hi Denise,

You are correctin what you have read. Some restaurants close during the Wet Season, particularly those directly on the outer beaches. However, there remain a good selection, and with no disrespect to the ones that close, the more popular, and dare I say, better ones, remain open throughout. There are probably more that reamin open in Bang La On and it tends to be busier than Bang Niang But I prefer the beach in Bang Niang and going into Bang La On on occasion for meals and shopping. I think you would probably get two bungalows at the Nang Thong Bay Resort 1 or 2 (2 is a more recent addition but they are very similar in terms of accommodation and facillities and only a few hundred metres apart.

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
703 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: HELP with hotel

We will be back at Nang Thong 1 on the 28th June for 12 days of peace.

Hope to see some more Aussies there this time.

Gunnedah, Australia
Level Contributor
316 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: HELP with hotel

Thanks for the suggestions

Thinking seriously about Nang Thong Bay resort. It looks lovely.....just the sort of thing we are looking for. The TA reviews are excellent. Which is better 1 or 2? Can anyone tell me what the breakfast there is like as I understand it is not a buffet or included in the price of room. Are there any good places close by that will be open for brekky?

Are there any other beach front places anyone could recommend before we commit?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: HELP with hotel

Breakfast is exceelnt at NTBR1 at least as are all meals. It is the older, more established of the two resorts but not much to choose between them. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance of both.

Gunnedah, Australia
Level Contributor
316 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: HELP with hotel

Thanks for answering all my questions........just one more sorry! Which NTBR has the beach front bungalows?

Kevlovesjules......might see yas if we decide to stay there as we will arrive around the 27th.

Denise

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
703 posts
66 reviews
8. Re: HELP with hotel

Both have beach front but I think that NTBR1 has the best shading trees between the bungalows and the beach.We stayed last year and it was really peaceful. We had breakfast most days next door at the green something bungalows we did eat at the NTBR1 a few times and it was excellent. Need Tanmar to comment as they have stayed at both.

Perth
Level Contributor
583 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: HELP with hotel

Hi Denise,

Thanks for the segway Julie. That would be the Green Beach Resort next to the NTBR 1 for breakfast!! We ate there on several occassions in August 2010 and the food and price were excellent. Really nice to have your toes in the sand while you have a peaceful breakfast. From memory 120 baht got you coffee,juice, toast and a cooked breakfast. Walkers Inn, about a 15min walk was excellent for a massive english breakfast at very reasonable prices as well. Breakfast at NTBR 1 and 2 is good with similar offerings as Green beach for around 200-250 baht.

NTBR1 has 8 beachfront bungalows and during low season is slightly busier than NTBR2. NTBR 2 has 4 beachfront bungalows. When we stayed at NTBR2 there was only one other family there at the same time, so we mostly had all the facilities to ourselves. We really enjoyed both. The gardens are prettier and more open at NTBR2. Our favourite is NTBR 1, but NTBR2 runs a very close second.

Let us know if you need any more information.

Julie - We will miss you be a month. have booked again for August 2011!!!

Regards, tanmar

Gunnedah, Australia
Level Contributor
316 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: HELP with hotel

Thanks for your help It sounds so great to have your toes in the sand while you eat breakfast. Haven't booked yet but I think it will be NTBR Denise

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak