We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in thailand Khao Lak and ?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
750 posts
66 reviews
2 weeks in thailand Khao Lak and ?

Hi everyone, we are planning our first trip to thailand next year hopefully Mar/Apr depending on funds. We are a family of 2 adults, 2 girls aged 6,9 and one baby boy aged 18 months. Initially I was looking at one week Koh phangan/kohsamui, 1 week Khao lak. How ever from a cost point of view I am thinking 2 weeks in the one area doing different things might be better. What are other peoples advice experience. We are looking at mostly relaxing holiday with some day trips when we feel like it. Would it be most cost effective to stay in one area?

thanks

Ang

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: 2 weeks in thailand Khao Lak and ?

Hi Ang....Well the obvious fact is..of course it will be cheaper if you were to stay in one place...ala Khao Lak....Saving on the travelling costs...Koh Phangan/Koh Samui/Khao Lak....

We stayed in 2 places whilst in Khao Lak over a one month period....Palm Galleria Resort @ Cape Pakarang and Nang Thong Bay Resort in town....

You could stay in one place for 2 weeks and get a great deal or divide into 2 places at one week in each of which you should also get a good weekly price ....

Koh Tao, Thailand
Level Contributor
415 posts
1 review
2. Re: 2 weeks in thailand Khao Lak and ?

Just to be aware - the weather on the east coast will be better than west coast at that time of year.

It will be most cost effective to stay in one place and easier too given how many people you are.

Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao all offer great holiday destinations. Great beaches and lots of places to explore.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
669 posts
152 reviews
3. Re: 2 weeks in thailand Khao Lak and ?

It's still fine to be on the Andaman side (eg. Khao Lak, Phuket, Krabi) in March/April. The low season officially comes on May 1, when the prices drop by a lot.

Traveling with a family with children, I would suggest you not to move from one side to the other, as it's a long journey by ferry and bus.

If you are using Khao Lak as a base, you can also spend a few days in Khao Sok National Park if you enjoy nature, which is just 1-2 hour away. If you are interested in a more cultural immersion type of tours, consider this local organization called Andaman Discoveries, they have received numerous international awards for its responsible tourism and community development projects. www.andamandiscoveries.com

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
4. Re: 2 weeks in thailand Khao Lak and ?

Hi,

Khao Lak is perfect for a relaxing 2 week family holiday.I think that Khao Lak has some of the best beaches in Thailand IMHO. For the past few years I have been here for March and had mostly sunny days with a few cloudy afternoons in 2009. In 2008 I was here in April nmostly sunny but some afternoons it turned cloudy with an odd shower late evening a few days. Mainly nice sunny weather though. From Khao Lak Khao Sok has already been mentioned but from here you could also visit Krabi 2.5 hours away ,Phuket 2 hours apart from what Khao Lak has to offer . You will find plenty of info on the right hand side of the forum under top questions and also have a look at

www.khaolaklovers.com and

www.khaolak.de

Julie

Edited: 04 December 2010, 02:45
Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: 2 weeks in thailand Khao Lak and ?

This year in March we travelled to Khao Lak for 10 nights and then 4 nights in Patong. Had perfect weather the whole time....sun shining everyday in KL but a little cloudy in Patong but not one drop of rain.

This time we have booked for late Feb 2011 and are just doing the 10 nights in KL and not doing Patong...much prefer KL and much more relaxing when travelling with kids. We travel with 3 like you aged 8,6 & 2 and stay at Cousins Resort in their family rooms for around AUD$120 per night - great little 3 star place to stay and the kids love it.

Hope this helps :)

Angie

Paris, France
Level Contributor
750 posts
66 reviews
6. Re: 2 weeks in thailand Khao Lak and ?

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks for the replys, it is helping me to narrow things down anyway and give me more of an idea of what we should do.

Still haven't decided yet, but getting there!

Ang

Swansea, Wales
Level Contributor
367 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: 2 weeks in thailand Khao Lak and ?

stay in KL for the 2 weeks. Very relaxing environment, and there are plenty of day trips involving elephants, canoeing snorkelling etc. Lots of hotel options at a variety of budgets.

8. Re: 2 weeks in thailand Khao Lak and ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2011, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak