We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our recent trip to Khao Lak

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
122 reviews
Our recent trip to Khao Lak

My husband and I have just returned from 9 nights in Khao Lak and although we didn’t do very much while there, I wanted to post a report as much as a thank you to everyone for all their advice and tips.

We arrived from Hong Kong with Air Asia, flights there and back were great. On time and nice staff. We had booked the emergency exit seats on account of a 6ft4 husband in tow. Next time, we will know that the first row of emergency exit seats don’t recline! But, hardly anyone else had booked the other seats so the staff suggested we move to the next row. It was quite amusing, other passengers tried to sit in the seats once the plane door was closed but the staff made sure they either coughed up the extra cash or asked them to leave.

We had arranged for transfers with Boss taxis and this was a great price of 1,000B and the drive was fine. Felt very safe with them, compared to our last experience in Phuket where I’m sure the driver was on drugs or something as his driving was really erratic. Anyway, as with everyone else who has said this, can totally recommend their service.

We stayed at the Ramada Khao Lak. Hotel was great, we had been upgraded to the lanai rooms, which I think the only difference was the patio bit but I could be wrong. Room was lovely, they had decorated the bed with flower petals for our honeymoon and also filled the bath with petals. All looked lovely but it was past 1am when we arrived so after taking a photo, had to brush it all aside to fall asleep! Next day the poor staff had to do the same again as it was my birthday too. Got a birthday cake too which was great as we missed out on banana pancakes that night!

Hotel – I’ll do a separate review soon but it was great, room nice, great shower, pool lovely, breakfast was nice but wish they had changed the fresh fruit and fruit juices a little, by the end we were a bit bored of it but it was lovely nonetheless. Not so keen on Miss Belgium turning up in our last few days there, and no, not one as I had thought from the banner advertising them, but 12 of them! When you’re trying to chill by the pool and you are surrounded by just 1 of them, it sounds fine in theory (or does if you’re a bloke) but the entourage of hairdresser, make up artist, photographers and film crew does kind of ruin it a bit. And for the record, I’m a few pounds overweight but I felt like a beached whale compared to the size zeros wandering about so that was a bit disconcerting. There was a lot of holding in my tummy as I sauntered into the pool to cool off! Glad we didn’t have to endure too many days of it….And how many times does a Miss Belgium girl have to be filmed walking from the sun bed to the pool?? I lost count after 12! I guess my husband swimming into the frame a few times didn’t help….

Food – well the plan was to try a few places that I had noted from TA but in the end we only sampled a few….Went to the Chong Far restaurant which was nice but a little bland, nice setting though. The heavens opened while we were there, luckily we had finished eating, so had a quick dash to a seat indoors. Went to Jai and I enjoyed my massaman curry. Went to Kung Seafood and the prawns just melted in the mouth, not so strong a thai flavour though, I would have said it was more Chinese like. Ate pizza at the Viking restaurant, pretty awful but we wanted a change. We had a few drinks for a few nights at a place opposite the German bakery, think it was called Star Ten, got seats at the front so great for people watching. Ended up eating there the last 2 nights as husband wanted something other than thai. If you need a change, they do a fantastic chicken and chips, lovely light batter and not greasy. For me, I had the massaman curry the first night and it was so yummy I had it again. Staff were lovely too. For lunches, we staggered to the first little beach stall to the left of the hotel on the beach, it was so good the first day, we went back every day. Fantastic squid, probably sampled every choice they offered, did the prawns a few times and their fried rice too. Just salivating at the thought of it now. Ate in the hotel for lunch one day by the pool, burger and chips, not nice at all, chips were soaking in oil. Seemed a good idea at the time but not impressed. Yummy vanilla milkshake though.

Other than that, I’m embarrassed to say we did little else. Husband had to get shirts and suits made so we went to Monty’s and that all seems fine. Went to the market on the Wednesday night behind the 7-11 and had a wander through there, but it was pretty wet so it did make it awkward going in and out of the stalls. Actually, the weather was the worst we’ve experienced this time. We have been to Phuket/Khao Lak in mid November 4 times now, and only had a little rain, this trip it probably didn’t rain for 2 days, and the rest it poured from mid afternoon onwards for a good few hours. On my birthday I think it was dry until lunchtime and then that was it. I guess the rainy season lasted a bit longer this time which was a shame, but great for just chilling out.

Sorry we can’t add much more to the review but this must be the first trip we’ve ever done abroad where we did pretty much nothing. Now, if someone could just dig me out of the snow here I’ll be on the plane back to Khao Lak!

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: Our recent trip to Khao Lak

Hi artmis1

Nice relaxing JBR

Shame about the snow, we have had nothing but rain all year up here in Far North Queensland but least it is 31c

Thanks mosiewigs

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Our recent trip to Khao Lak

Snow? In Khao Lak!!!!!! ;-)

Great report.. So glad you enjoyed KL - despite the Bevy of Belgian Beauties!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Our recent trip to Khao Lak

Nice JBR reading Artemis...!!....

And it just goes to show that no one can predict what the weather is going to do....So,when someone asks what the weather is going to be like...??...

Tell them what you think but don't blame me if it's any different......

However,I don't think we will be skiing in Khao Lak anytime soon Arandora...LOL...

I can picture you now having a cold cocktail by Cousin's pool....Am I warm..??..

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
462 posts
77 reviews
4. Re: Our recent trip to Khao Lak

Thanks for writing your JBR. They are so helpful when you're planning a trip especially when it's your 1st visit, as it is for us.

We've been to Phuket twice in Oct and it rained a fair bit so this time, we've chosen April 2011 and it will be pretty hot I reckon. But us Aussies are used to that......

Thanks for the info on restaurants as eating is a big part of our holiday. Love the buffet breakfast too.

Did you notice any other hotels that you'd stay at if you'd return? We've booked a week at La Flora and will move somewhere else after visiting Khao Sok.

Thanks again.

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
122 reviews
5. Re: Our recent trip to Khao Lak

Hi PJSwan,

We passed by plenty of hotels but never ventured into any of them for a look around. We would definitely still choose a beach front hotel because we like to go for a wander along the beach through the day and it's nice just stumbling from the pool to the beach. We had considered La Flora too when we were booking but got a good price with Ramada so went with them.

Next time we might stay in the main part of Khao Lak, where Monty's and McDonalds are, because we ended up going every night to the tailors and it was a bit of a pain. We did walk it a few times going there, but I wouldn't risk walking back on the road. taxis were just 150B. Not sure if we were supposed to haggle or not but I'm pretty awful at that sort of thing anyway!

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
6. Re: Our recent trip to Khao Lak

Hi artemis

I enjoyed your JBR it made me forget about the cold and snow for a while. Khao Lak is a great place to just chill and relax. Glad you had a nice time apart from the rain you experienced.

Julie

Perth
Level Contributor
583 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Our recent trip to Khao Lak

Hi artemis1,

Great to read your JBR. Shame about the rain, but holidays are for relaxing anyway.

Miss Belgium x 12.... Khao Lak is heaven!!

Regards, tanmar

8. Re: Our recent trip to Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2011, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak