We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with specific Similian and Khao Sak tour questions

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
175 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Help with specific Similian and Khao Sak tour questions

Hi, my family is coming to Khao Lak for the first time the last week of December and we are very excited. I have spent my free time reading the forums, and have decided to do a one day jungle (river and elephant trek) tour at Khao Sak and a one day snorkeling Similian Islands tour. Some specific questions that I haven't been able to figure out:

1. The general advice seems to be to wait until we get there to book the tours, but if I am inclined to do a specific tour (like Khao Lak Land discovery tour), is the price for that specific tour company prone to be lower if we wait til we get there, or are the hopefully lower priced tours for different tour companies? I will be with 2 small children, so I would prefer to be with a more reputable company that I've at least read a review about, than a no-name tour operator, especially for the Similian island tour. The older one can snorkel, the younger one can't swim but will put her head in the water to look at fish with flotation. So if the price for the Khao Lak land discovery tour will be the same, I am inclined to just book it.

2. Given that it is the most popular week of the year, is it advisable to book ahead of time for fear of not getting on and/or is it unlikely that there will be any discounts given the crowds?

3. For the Khao Sak day tour, we are deciding between Siam Safari and Khao Lak land safari. Are these day tours generally the same such that it doesn't really matter?

4. Same question for the Similian island tour. Khao lak land safari says they will switch locations based on their expertise on where the fish are that day. - any difference you've seen re: where the boat goes, and/or the food they serve for lunch? I ask b/c the forums also recommend fantastic similian travel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kuala Lumpur...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with specific Similian and Khao Sak tour questions

I was in khao lak in February this yr and have to say I loved it there! Will be going again in feb11. Can't wait. Abt booking the tours only when u get there is because they have a lot of little tour shops along the street and u can walk to everyone of them to ask for their rates/price. U can even bargain for a better price. Basically all the tour shops offer similar tours to similan..only difference is the tour company. I went to similan with this tour company called medseye. The tour guide is an American guy called Ben. He is a great tour guide, made the trip so much more fun. Similan is absolutely beautiful..the one day trip really wasn't enough to soak in the beauty of similan and it's crystal clear turquoise waters(for me and my family at least). We regretted not doing the 1 night stay on similan island.

Hope that helps. I didn't do the khao sok tour thingy so can't help in that area.

Hope u have a great trip!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with specific Similian and Khao Sak tour questions

If you pre-book a specific tour with a specific company, such as Khao Lak Land Discovery, it is unlikely that the price will be any different when you arrive. However, if you are looking for a typical tours, such as the one you have mentioned for Khao Sok and a 1 day Similan snorkelling tour, provided by different operators then this is more competitive and you could shop around for the best price.

By booking with reputable company like KLLD you can specify a date and know for certain what you are getting for your money and when you want to go.

Do you mean Khao Lak Land Discovery for Khao Sok? If so KLLD has the advantage over Siam Safari of being based in Khao Lak.

We have used both KLLD and Fantastic Similan and have no hesitation in recommending either. You have more fun with Fantastic Similan because of who operates the tour.(Moo Moo's)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
669 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with specific Similian and Khao Sak tour questions

KLLD is definitely a reputable company. Have had tours with them before and were great!

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
175 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with specific Similian and Khao Sak tour questions

Thanks, does anyone know whether I will have any difficulty with getting on a tour given it's the last week of december? If not, I guess it doesn't hurt to wait. We will be there for a week so are somewhat flexible in when we go.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with specific Similian and Khao Sak tour questions

Also try Green Andaman Travel. The owner is a local and helped KLLD set up when it originally opened many years ago. They specialize in Khao Sok and the owner is very well known for his fishing trips.

For the Similans companies like Medseye and Ruk Talay are well known.

6. Re: Help with specific Similian and Khao Sak tour questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2011, 11:11
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak