We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a car

Level Contributor
2,387 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring a car

We are thinking about hiring a car whilst in Khao Lak, we are staying at the Paradise Resort. Can anyone recommend the best place to hire one from, I am assuming if you do this through the hotel it will be more expensive. I think two days would be enough as we are only there for 7. Any ideas of cost would be helpful.

You will need your passport and driving licence I assume.

Many thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a car

Hi Noodles,

There is a Budget Car Rental Office just relocated from Bang Niang and now not far from you at the Paradise. When you go down the highway from your resort you enter the main township Bang La On or often referred to as just Khao Lak. The highway divides into a dual carriageway and on your right you will find

SMILE Khaolak - Restaurant, Car Rental, Private Tours & Cooking Classes, Home-made Products.

Suwaphatre RINGOT (Oor)

Managing Director

Mobile 081 797 6136

suwaphatre@gmail.com

Rates for 2011 are:

Vehicle group : ECAR , Toyota Vios or Honda City or Honda Jazz

1.5 cc Automatic , aircon 4 seats with dual airbags.

Daily rate ( 1-6 days hire ) rental rate are 1,500 baht/day.

Weekly rate ( 7- 21 days ) rental rate are 1,300 baht/day.

Monthly rate ( from 30 days ) rental rate are 1,000 baht/day.

The above rate are included : unlimited mileage: full insurance: A charge of ZERO baht in case of non recovery or damage : 24 hours assistance for emergency etc. Free delivery or pick up within Khao Lak areas.

The above vehicles are suitable for 2-4 paxs and 3 luggages .

Compare this with rates at your hotel and there is also a Hertz office in Bang Niang but I'm sorry I don't have the rates.

Perhaps if you get any more quotes you could post them then I can make a FAQ that will be useful for others wanting to hire a car in Khao Lak rather than at the airport.

The Smile restaurant is excellent food and great value for money.

Level Contributor
2,387 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a car

Thank you so much for such helpful information, I will cut and paste and add it to the rest of my info you have kindly provided, just cannot wait to get there now only 2 months to wait, ha ha

Thanks again and best regards.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a car

No probs. Probably see tou there!.

Level Contributor
2,387 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a car

I am very envious you are able to for so long, we would love to do that but both of us work and we have a 16 year old at college so a bit diffiult mind you this is the first time she is not coming with us but I keep telling her she will regret not experiencing Khao Lak. We thought hiring a car might be better then we can drive around and find places for ourself rather than being part of a group but we will probably do a boat trip, we don't snorkel but like to see nice scenery can you recommend the best trip to go on and who to book through, you have probably given this info before so sorry for the repeat. We do intend going to the ladyboy show and I understand you don't need to book do you just turn up and what would be a good time to get there,

Thanks again for all your help

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring a car

Hi,

Don't wish your life away, retirement comes soon enough (except at the moment it looks like it's going to be further off than many people tough! Sorry, for note of seriousness!)

Hiring a car is great (especially when Thais drive on the same side of the road (usually!) as we do. It's the Europeans and Americans who drive on the wrong side at home you have to look out for in their early days!!! You have far more flexibility to go places when you want and accessibility to places tours don't go to.

Have a look at this site http://www.khaolaklovers.com/ especially the "Six Area Drives" under "What to see and do". The Hot Springs Loop is one of our favourites as it takes you from Thai Mueang (the first big town you reach after leaving Khao lak back in the direction of Phuket. When you get to the centre, you turn right there to continue to Phuket, turn right down to Thai Mueang Beach, the entrance to the National Park and on your right the Turtle Conservation Unit - a great trip in its own right - or go straight across to start the Loop.) through beautiful countryside, small villages and beautiful deserted beaches all the way past the Hot Springs Resort (worth a look around) until coming out back on the highway just north of the Sarasin Bridge that joins Phuket with the mainland. Then drive straight back up the highway to Khao Lak.

Have a look here for notes and pics of our Loop Tour last March with the restaurant we found being great for lunch.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

There are also some good tips from topics older than 6 months which are now closed in the FAQs on the top right.

As for Moo Moo's, no need to book. The show starts daily at 21:45 with the last performance around 23:30, making it a great (and fun) after-dinner entertainment venue. Entrance is free, with beers, cocktails, mixer drinks and soft drinks available at reasonable prices.

6. Re: Hiring a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2011, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations