We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko Surin island

England
Level Contributor
603 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ko Surin island

We are planning to stay in the tent for 2 nights on Ko Surin island.

Looking at the pictures on the national park website, all tents look the same. How can you know which tent is yours? It seems anyone can access to your tent easily. So, where do you keep your money or passports. We are not taking them with us to go snorkeling. Definitely not safe to leave them in the tent.

I know there are lockers facility, how good are they? We were thinking to take our passports with us rather than leaving them in our guesthouse's safe in Khao Lak.

There are two campsites, which one is nicer to stay in terms of facilities and restaurants?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ko Surin island

Hi,

" How can you know which tent is yours?" - with difficulty, especially in the dark! LOL No, seriously once you have been shown to your tent you will know its location, thereafter. Take a torch with you in case you "have to pay a visit" during the night, although there are lights near the main facilities.

We were allocated a tent at the campsite facing the beach, about three rows back. You leave the fly sheets down over the "windows" but the shades drawn to allow sea breezes to provide the "air-con". The other site faces the piers and probably a bit closer to the restaurant and dining area but both are only a stroll away.

We left all our valuables, including passport, locked away in our bungalow in Khao Lak. We always carry a photocopy of our passports with us. As for money, having paid for the tour and accommodation, there is very little to spend on (drinks with lunch and dinner, simple souvenirs) so we took only a minimal amount (1000 baht more than enough).

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ko Surin island

Hi,

I also do the same when on camping trips only take enough money for my needs , valuables I leave locked in my accommodation safe. I have also as it can be expensive paying for double accommodation just rented a cheapeer room to store my luggage while on a camping trip but I always make sure I have a safe. Some hotels will store your luggage for you while on camping trips as well.

Julie

England
Level Contributor
603 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ko Surin island

Thanks guys.

So, you leave your credit cards in your resort's room in Khao Lak. I may leave my passports in the resort's safe.

How about the locker in Ko Surin island? Have you guys used it?

Do the tents have numbers? It sounds easy to get in the wrong tent.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ko Surin island

Sorry didn't use the lockers or go to wrong tent - even when stumbling around at night when half asleep. Mind you the wife must have done because there was a strange woman asleep at the side of me when I woke up. :-))

England
Level Contributor
603 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ko Surin island

Another question about camera battery charges.

No idea where I can charge my camera battery. I was wondrering if Ii can do it while we are having meal in the restaurant.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ko Surin island

I would have your battery fully charged when you arrive and take a fully charged spare too. I seem to recall that you could plug a charger in at Reception near the dining area (restaurant is perhaps too grand a description. It is (or was) a large, covered communal dining area with tressle tables and benches with a set menu or very limited a la carte choice.

Pics here from our trip …google.com/CousinKL/SurinHighlights…

Oh, I forgot to mention, when they give you your sleeping pad, ask for two each. Even with both folded double, it is very hard!

Edited: 22 October 2010, 00:28
England
Level Contributor
603 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Ko Surin island

Thanks Arandora,

Your pics are very gorgeous. Which part of Surin did you find Nemo. They were cute. By the way, which campesite is the best to stay?

> when they give you your sleeping pad, ask for two each.

Does it mean that I have to pay double?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ko Surin island

Nemos were all around - bit like a song! :-) The guides on the boat know where the best places are at the various snorkelling sites. They dive down to entice them out of their hidey holes.

We thought the campsite we were allocated too (didn't have a choice) aws the beeter one. It was the one facing the beach not the pier. The sleeping pads are included in tent hire, one each but no problem asking for another two.

England
Level Contributor
603 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Ko Surin island

Arandora,

Thank you so much for your tips. We can't wait to go to Ko Surin.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
224 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ko Surin island

Hi CLW !

We're thinking of going for a 2N/3D to the Surin islands as well. Which operator are you using (or are you just going through the national park reservation system) ?

Regards,

/M

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak