We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency - Change when get to Khao Lak?

London
Level Contributor
66 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Currency - Change when get to Khao Lak?

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are spending 6 nights in khao lak and 6 nights in phuket in November.

Would it be better changing up our GBP into THB when we arrive in khao lak/phuket rather than here in the UK?

I am always a little wary of changing money up in some countries after experiencing a scam in Bali regarding fake notes! So I am just hoping for some reassurance when it comes to changing up money as usually the rates are better in the country you are travelling too.

Thoughts would be appreciated

Cheers!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency - Change when get to Khao Lak?

Most definitely change your currency in Thailand NOT at home in UK. You will receive typically 3 to 4 baht per £1 more. Use the proper banks or their exchanges and you will have no problems. Have a look at the Top Questions at top right of the forum, in particulatr Currency Options at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s601/Thailand… for further information and advice.

If you are flying into Bangkok airport there is a currency exchange near the luggage carousel so you can exchange some money for immediate needs there. Although each bank offers different rates they are the same at each branch in each location at the time of drawing so you will get roughly the same whether it is in Bangkok, Khao Lak or Phuket.

Have a look here for latest rates at the varios banks …daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

Here for advice on best cards …moneysavingexpert.com/holiday-money/#top and here thisismoney.co.uk/bargains-and-rip-offs/…

London
Level Contributor
66 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency - Change when get to Khao Lak?

Thanks for the info!

3. Re: Currency - Change when get to Khao Lak?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2011, 09:52
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations