We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for a beer near Takua Pa

Sydney
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Tips for a beer near Takua Pa

Hello all

I volunteer for a small charity in Australia called Hands Across The Water who has built 2 orphanages and continues to support about 70 kids who were orphaned by the tsunami in the Khao Lak area. (check out www.handsacrossthewater.com.au)

Anyway, I'll be in Khao Lak/Takua Pa for a few days (sept 10-12) and while I have been there before I have never been by myself. Wondering if people can suggest any good places to have a beer at night?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Tips for a beer near Takua Pa

Khao Lak/Takua Pa is big area, about 25km between the two. Are you staying in or near Khao Lak or Takua Pa?

If you are staying in Khao Lak, the Everyday Lazy House Bar and Restaurant which is the last restaurant on your right after the Book Tree leaving the main town of Bang La On is the meeting and planning (and drinking!) place for the local Volunteer Teaching in Thailand Group (see http://www.volunteerteacherthailand.org/ ) which attracts volunteers from all over the world and has close links with other volunteer projects, including I'm sure your two orphanges. It does work in schools in and around Takua Pa and you can contact the Head of Teaching, Ken Hyde (a regular at the Everyday) on ken@volunteerteacherthailand.org

Good Luck with your volunteering.

Edited: 26 August 2010, 13:01
Sydney
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Tips for a beer near Takua Pa

Thanks for the messgae, really useful.

I'm staying at the small huts next to the orphanages in Takua Pa.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Tips for a beer near Takua Pa

If you contact Ken, I'm sure he will arrange something.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Tips for a beer near Takua Pa

Hi Muzza.

Are you staying at Takua Pa number 1 or 2?

I mean the smaller Takua Pa or the bigger one with the bus station?

If you are staying near Takua Pa number 1 (no bus station) there are a couple of places you can go in a little village called Dok Deang.Do you know it?

Basically you turn away from the beach at Pak Weep and there is a bus stop on the corner. That road is the main road for Dok Deang.

If you go down the road quite a way you will see the Dok Deang Police box on your right.

Keep on going and there will be a bridge with a small river.

Just before the bridge, on your left there is a shop that sells groceries and beer.

The lady who runs it is named Tuk and her partner is a English guy named Colin.

You will get the proper Thai experience of sitting and sharing a story and a laugh .

Tuk speaks good english and of course so does Colin.

Basically any shop along that road will sell beer as do most shops everywhere.lol

If you are looking for more of a tourist experience then Khao Lak is the go. The Happy Snapper is a popular place and they play live music, There is also the Music Hut and a lot of places along the road from Takua Pa to Khao Lak for drinks. bang Nieng has a lot of bars and places that play live music too.

cheers,

nettie

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Tips for a beer near Takua Pa

Nettie,

I think you are getting your Takua Pas mixed up with your Khuk Khaks! Takua Pa is about 20km north of Khao Lak and Pak Weeb Beach in particular.

In all my time in and around Khao Lak I've never heard of Takua Pa 1 or 2 only Old Town which is about 5km from the "new" town, the one with the main bus station and market. Khuk Khak (2km up the road from Bang Niang) has a bus station and market. Is that what you mean by Takua Pa 2? You've got me intrigued.

Edited: 31 August 2010, 00:44
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: Tips for a beer near Takua Pa

I mean Takua Pa. The old town in no1 and the new town is no2. I have a bungalow in Dok Deang, I don't stay in Khao Lak.

My friends in Dok Deang say they are going to Takua Pa number 1 or 2 so everyone knows where they are going.

From my home Takua Pa number 1 is only 10 minutes away but number 2 is half an hour. Maybe thay just say it that way so the dumb farangs will know whats what ;-)

I dont live on the beach I live inland.

I live on the road with the Pak Weep bus stop on the corner. So one end of my road is Pak Weep beach and the other is Takua Pa number 1 (after turning left at the end of the road)

In Dok Deang they say it like this. Takua Pa number 1 (old town) was built first but every rain season the river would flood and people could not get across to the market for food so they built Takua Pa number 2 (new town)

The last couple of years there has been a big marketing push for 'Takua Pa Old town', you can even buy a tshirt now :-) But in our village it is still number 1 and number 2, doesnt have the same romantic ring to it I guess.lol

7. Re: Tips for a beer near Takua Pa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2011, 11:48