We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Similana or Surin Islands

Bolton
Level Contributor
216 posts
18 reviews
Similana or Surin Islands

Hello

I will not have time to visit both, but which would you say is the best for a day trip?

Khaolak
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Similana or Surin Islands

I would choose Surin Islands.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Similana or Surin Islands

It depends what you want to see and, in particular, if you want to spend some time on a fabulous beach with white sand and crystal clear water as well as snorkel at various points. If you do then the Similans have the edge. For the Surins you snorkel from the boat, landing on the one island for lunch. At the Similans as well as snorkelling you anchor in "Donald Duck Bay" where the sand is white powder and the water crystal clear and you can climb up to the viewpoint on Sail Rock for a fabulous view. They are also more quickly accessible, the departure pier at or near Tab Lamu depending on which tour you travel being about 15 - 20 minutes from Khao Lak, whereas the pier at Kuraburi for the Surins is about 75 minutes from Khao Lak. For marine life, corals and anemones I think the Surins has it.

Whichever you choose I'm sure you will have a great day.

For a "different" tour to the Similans try Fantastic Similan Tours run by Mr Moo of Moo Moo's Ladyboy Cabaret Bar in Bang Niang, which may give you an idea of the fun in store as part of the trip. This and other tours are bookable throughout Khao Lak.

Bolton
Level Contributor
216 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Similana or Surin Islands

Hi Arandora

I've had a look at your pictures of your trip to the Similanas with Mr Moo(he looks quite a character) and they look really good. Think I will give him a go and the caberet club looks fun to.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Similana or Surin Islands

Both are really good fun. Moo Moo's Show starts at 10 pm until Midnight so it's an after dinner show! No entrance fee, just pay for drinks - cocktails and beer at reasonable not rip off prices - and a tip for the "girls" at the end if you have enjoyed the show. Careful if you sit on the front row! ;-)

Edited: 27 August 2010, 20:12
Bolton
Level Contributor
216 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Similana or Surin Islands

Why? Or would that spoil the surprise?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Similana or Surin Islands

Yes!!!

Bolton
Level Contributor
216 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Similana or Surin Islands

Have to make sure hubby sits near the front then!

8. Re: Similana or Surin Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2011, 11:53
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak