We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Similan Islands for a non-swimmer

London
Level Contributor
242 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Similan Islands for a non-swimmer

This maybe a stupid question.

But is it worth doing a day trip to the Similan Islands for a non-swimmer?

If so are there any recommendations of tour companies?

Thanks

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Similan Islands for a non-swimmer

Its a long way to go,and while the scenery is very nice, you can see similar things on beaches and islands a bit closer to Khao Lak.

London
Level Contributor
242 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Similan Islands for a non-swimmer

Thank you dragonc, do you have any suggestions?

In fact any ideas where I can find something similar to the Hong islands near krabi please. I them visited when I stayed in Krabi? I'd love to be able to see that sort of scenary again.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Similan Islands for a non-swimmer

Other than the Similans and the Surins which are better for snorkelling and diving, I would commend the small island of Koh Kho Khao (better known locally as KKK) which is about 20km north from Khao Lak, a 20 - 30 minute drive then 10 mins across on the ferry. Self-drive is the better option (or hire a driver locally) as on the way there or back you can visit the main Tsunami Memorial in the village of Ban Nam Khem which overlooks KKK.

On KKK itself beach access is mainly along the west coast with just a handful of resorts and restaurants at the ferry end. However, at the tip is the Sunset Restaurant with a great, largely deserted beach but pride of place is the stunning Virgin Beach which is just around the headland but reached along a track on your right before the Sunset but for which you need a motor bike or 4wd vehicle because of the deep very sandy ruts. Very easy to get stranded. Again there is just one small excellent restaurant/bar with a handful of deck chairs, lovely clear water before lunch and the tide stirs up the sand and stunning views of a neighbouring uninhabited island and the mountains on the mainland to the north.

You will find links to KKK in this previous thread tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k… and a search will provide loads of information too.

For a taxi too and from try Cheaper than Hotel Taxis in Khao Lak - see tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

4. Re: Similan Islands for a non-swimmer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2011, 11:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations