We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheaper accomodation

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
cheaper accomodation

We are going to Khao Lak on 6/12/2010 for three or four nights, so we can snorkel at the Similan Islands. We understand the area is newly built so is therefore a bit more expensive. My wife and I begrudge paying inflated prices for accomodation for impersonal resorts. We found a couple of places that suited, Walkers Inn and Banana Bungalows. Can anybody tell us about these B&B's, or maybe any other that would suit, both of these are about 1000 baht per room.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheaper accomodation

If you can extend your budget to B1500 per night Cousins Resort is a great choice in Bang Niang. Small and not impersonal at all with great friendly staff and lovely gardens and pool. Short walk to the beach and restaurants. We stayed there in March and loved it!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheaper accomodation

Khao Lak has a rangeof accommodation to suit all tastes and all budgets. I can ersonally vouch for the Cousin Resort as it is our base in Khao Lak for getting away from the UK Winter.

As for the Walkers Inn, this is the forner Tsunami Volunteer Centre on the right of the highway as you come down over the mountain into Bang La On, the main township of Khao Lak. It was taken over and turned into a B&B, restaurant and bar by a great guy from Yorkshire and his Thai wife and, as well as Thai food and grills, it does great nightly BBQs and is probaly the nearest to English Pub Grub in Khao Lak (Sunday roast beef and Yorkshire pud was beingplanned when we left in April, Cumberland sausage already on the menu - real home from home!)

The Banana Bungalows are not far away on the same side of the highway and up towards the montains. Decent, smallish bungalows with pool on site and a good restaurant.

Both good value.

This link will give you a list of, it is claimed, all of the accommodation currently in Khao Lak by area www.seadragondivecenter.com/accommodation.htm

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheaper accomodation

Thanks for the replies, I will check out Cousins and also the web site mentioned. Do you think we may be better off just turning up and bartering a better deal if they are not full. Last year we done just that on Koh Samui and got a great place in Fishermans Village for 800 baht instead of 1500.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheaper accomodation

I'm not aware that people have got reductions of that order in Khao Lak in the Dry Season. December, January and February are the most popular months with the Cousin, for instance, being nearly fuul booked from early December to early January already. You can also waste a lot of time going to different resorts trying to get cheaper prices and end up getting cheap but not so cheerful. (see my PM re Cousin)

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheaper accomodation

Hi,

I can only add to what Arandora has already said. In the past I have stayed at the 5 star Le Meridien and last year for a change of scene stayed at the wonderful Cousin Resort . For me I found it to be perfect it is a beautiful cared for resort and only minutes from the beach in a quiet location so that it is peaceful with plenty of restaurants in walking distance.My choice for my next visit back to Khao Lak I have again booked the Cousin. The Cousin is good value I have in the past paid much more for not as nice. It also has a fantastic pool for a small resort great for cooling off in.

Julie

6. Re: cheaper accomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 August 2010, 14:35
7. Re: cheaper accomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2011, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations