We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting the Sarojin - weather and food options in October?

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting the Sarojin - weather and food options in October?

I was hoping someone here would be kind enough to help me!

I am looking at spending 10 nights at the Sarojin hotel in mid-October. I have 2 questions:

1) How would the weather be around that time? I've been told the weather on the west side of Thailand would be better than on the east side (Koh Samui etc).

2) A big part of Thailand for me is getting out and experiencing some of the wonderful local food. I've heard there is a shuttle bus from the Sarojin to Khao Lak, but will there be much open in October?

I'm looking for a relatively quiet location but with access to some local life....just don't want massive Phuket (Pa Tong) style resorts and all night parties...but I don't necessarily want to be totally secluded either....perhaps someone could suggest a better location for me if there is one?

Thanks so much!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting the Sarojin - weather and food options in October?

Hi,

October is the end of the Wet Season and is typically one of the wettest months although there should be plenty of sun and it will be hot.

The Sarojin is a small, luxury boutiquev resort located on Pak Weeb Beach, the best in Khao Lak. This is a secluded and quiet location and there are just a few beach restaurants adjacent which usually reopen at about this time. Otherwise the Sarojin shuttle runs into either Bang Niang (about 10 minutes) and Bang La On (aka Khao Lak) (about 15 minutes) where there will be vrestaurants, bars and shops open and more opening as the Dry Season approaches,

If you want to be within walking distance of restaurants etc. then consider the Ramada or La Flora on Bang Niang Beach and Nang Thong Bay Resort or Baan Khao Lak on Nang Thong Beach (just down from Bang La On) or the Paradise on the adjacent Sunset Beach.

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting the Sarojin - weather and food options in October?

hi,have been in khao lak during october for the last 2 years at the le meridien and again this year at the j.w. marriott and found the weather very hot with the occasional thunder shower some days rarely lasting more than 15-20 minutes late afternoon or early evening.

as arandora has said there are a few beach restaurants nearby our favourite being goon and gibs, lovely owners and good tasty food.

bang niang and ban la on have plenty of places to eat and shopping is reasonable with out the hassle you get in patong or pattaya .

i would check out the thread for places to eat as there are some really good options that people have mentioned and there is also some good information on the faq`s on the home page.

norwichblue1

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting the Sarojin - weather and food options in October?

thanks for the help....I ended up booking 10 nights at the Sarojin, it looked too good to turn down!

Another question about Khao Lak....will there any good tailors there? Me and the Mrs want to get some clothes, but won't be visiting Bangkok or any more built up areas. Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting the Sarojin - weather and food options in October?

There are many tailors in Khao Lak, too many in fact. Our favourite and the longest established tailor in Khao Lak is Monty the Tailor who is located in the Khao Lak Grand City Plaza, the big yellow building on your right as you enter Bang La On (on your left as you leave) the main township of Khao Lak. See http://www.montythetailor.com/ Two things make Monty different than other tailors ( most of whom are branches of outfits from Bangkok and Phuket) are that you will not be harangued on the street by salesmen with "special offers" and that you pay no deposit and only pay anything at all if you are satisfied with the finished product.

Other members will have other recommendations.

One thing to bear in mind with any of the tailors is the need to pay several visits from first going to choose design, fabric, measurement etc. to first and final fittings, so best to go at the beginning of your holiday so you are not in a rush at the end.

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting the Sarojin - weather and food options in October?

that's really useful...many thanks....my girlfriend wants to take a dress she has already and for them to make something similar in other colours....do you think they would be able to do that? I know they make the regular shirts and suits, but will they be able to do go a little bit further and make dresses etc?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting the Sarojin - weather and food options in October?

Absolutely. That is one of the best ways to get what you want. Monty makes probably more for ladies than gents these days. Also if you are satisfied with the finished product, he keeps your details, measurements etc. on file and you can order further items on-line and he will post to you. same with you if you have your favourite pair of trousers but want different material/colour but same fit. Also if you take a design from a magazine you fancy, he will make from that.

7. Re: Visiting the Sarojin - weather and food options in October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2011, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations