We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another hotel help question.....

Vancouver
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Another hotel help question.....

I know there are lots of hotel help questions....but I'd very much appreciate it if all you Khao Lak experts would help answer one more :-)

My finance and I are planning a 5-7 night stay in Khao Lak for our honeymoon in late November - early December of this year. I'm having a very difficult time deciding where to book for our stay.

Ideally we like to spend less than 5000 BHT per night. We'd like to be close to town so we can visit restaurants/shops etc. And we'd also like to be on a very nice beach....and ideally stay somewhere with a great pool.

Initially we were thinking JW Marriott...but I'm hesitating as it seems far out of town (maybe its worth it...). Then we were thinking Ramada...but reviews seem to be mixed. Now we are contemplating Nang Thong Bay Resort as it seems to be in a good location. But is the beach nice in this location?

Any advice??

THANKS!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Nang Thong Bay Resort
Nang Thong Bay Resort
306 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another hotel help question.....

You are considering three very good resorts with the JWM having that WOW factor for a honeymoon. It is also located on the better beach and there will be at the time you are visiting a handful of great local beach restaurants nearby. See this previous thread and link to pics http://tiny.cc/pdoyb

The Ramada is located on the widest and best part of Bang Niang Beach with restaurants on either side on, overlooking and on the road from the beach to the highway where there are shops and mini-marts and a three times a week large and busy local market.

The NTBR is on Nang Thong Beach and although there are fewer independent beach restaurants adjacent and the beach IMO is not as nice there as the other two resort locations it is within easy walking distance of the centre of Bang La On, the main township of Khao Lak.

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
71 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
London
Level Contributor
242 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another hotel help question.....

I was also wondering about how "remote" the JWM is. In order to get to the night markets, shops how long and how much does it cost by taxi?

Also I noticed on Google maps that Khuk Khak village is nearby does this have restaurants/bars?

Mentioned in this post
Khuk Khak
Khuk Khak
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another hotel help question.....

There are a couple of restaurants on the highway near the entrance to Khuk Khak Bus Station, including the newly opened Sunset Bar 2 (see http://tiny.cc/01vb9) where there is also a permanent day market, mainly for food and some general goods. There are some shops facing that sell general goods and clothing and some on the highway.

However, the two main townships in Khao Lak where most restaurants, bars and shops are located are Bang Niang (about 10 minutes by taxi or hotel shuttle) and Bang La On (15 minutes). A taxi would be 300 - 400 baht.

There are no night markets in such, mainly shops on either side of the highway are in small plazas. There is, however, a large, busy, day market on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays just behind the 711 in Bang Niang that sells all you would expect at night markets plus food and local houseware.

Mentioned in this post
Khuk Khak
Khuk Khak
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
4. Re: Another hotel help question.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2011, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak