We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a bus or coach from Khao Lak to Krabi (Ao Nang)?

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a bus or coach from Khao Lak to Krabi (Ao Nang)?

Hi All,

Hubby & I will be in Khao Lak in March for a few days, and then we need to get to Krabi for a few days - Is there a bus or coach that we can get, and, if so, approximate price and how long the trip should take?

I know we can get a private car, but we are looking for a less expensive option.

Many thanks,

Sandy

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a bus or coach from Khao Lak to Krabi (Ao Nang)?

Hi Sandy,

There is no direct bus or coach service to Krabi from Khao Lak.

You can either catch the bus going south to Phuket and get off at Khuk Kloy, which is about 90 minutes and is just northj of Phuket Island where the highway branches to Phang Nga and then catch a bus there, either direct to Krabi or change at Phang Nga City., probably another 2 hours.

Alternatively you can catch a bus north from Khao Lak to the main bus station at Takua Pa, about 20km and 30-45 minutes. Then catch a bus from there to Krabi, a good 3 hours from there I would think.

Sorry, can't help with cost which will be a lot less than a taxi but far less convenient. Taxi fare with Cheaper than Hotels taxis is 2200 baht each way - see http://tiny.cc/u84wb

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phang Nga
Phang Nga
Takua Pa
Takua Pa
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a bus or coach from Khao Lak to Krabi (Ao Nang)?

Hi Sandy,

I used a shared a/c mini van price was 430B per person. Pick up was from the hotel in Khao Lak to our hotel in Krabi. Pick up was at 08.00hrs in the morning and you are taken to a stop off point near Krabi town 2.5 hours where you can have refreshment you are then shown to a different mini bus to take you to your hotel in Ao Nang which is about 25 minutes further. Private car and driver is around 2500B. This can be booked anywhere in Khao Lak up to the day before.

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a bus or coach from Khao Lak to Krabi (Ao Nang)?

Thank you Arandora & Julie for your replies.

Julie, the shared minivan sounds like a good option - can you tell me how you book it, and should it be done in advance, or just when we arrive in Khao Lak?

Cheers,

Sandy

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a bus or coach from Khao Lak to Krabi (Ao Nang)?

Hi Sandy,

You do not need to book in advance you can book up to the day before. Any tour place or agency in Khao Lak will sell you a ticket and contact the company for pick up.

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a bus or coach from Khao Lak to Krabi (Ao Nang)?

Thanks heaps,

Cheers,

Sandy

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a bus or coach from Khao Lak to Krabi (Ao Nang)?

Hi Julie,

Sorry to bother you again.

If the minivan cannot be filled, will they still charge us the same rate, even though there are less people?

Thanks again,

Sandy

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a bus or coach from Khao Lak to Krabi (Ao Nang)?

Hi Sandy,

When you have booked your ticket travel is then confirmed. The mini bus that I was on was full and it is quite a cheap and popular way to travel for anybody on a budget . It can get quite expensive if you are traveling round Thailand and using a car and driver all the time. When you reach Krabi the mini bus place which is used is outside Krabi town you have about 30 minutes here for drinks and refreshment while waiting for the Ao Nang mini bus and it is also an opportunity for the staff at this place to sell accommadation to people who have not booked any .My hotel location was given to the Ao Nang driver for drop off. While I was waiting for the Ao Nang bus it seems the priority is for them to sell hotels to people and onward travel to other places plus food and drink. We took water with us in a thermos cooler you also have a toilet stop on the way of 15 minutes. We arrived at our hotel in Ao Nang around 12, 0 clock mid morning as the driver then has to run round dropping you off at your hotel or longtail to Railay. It can be a little cramped if you end up on the back seat as me and my sister did as some people put their luggage in the aisle and we were last pick up. The rate will be the same even if the bus is not full

Julie

Edited: 21 June 2010, 15:17
Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Ao Nang
Ao Nang
Krabi Town, Thailand
Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a bus or coach from Khao Lak to Krabi (Ao Nang)?

Thanks Julie - you are a real gem!!!!

X Sandy

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
698 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a bus or coach from Khao Lak to Krabi (Ao Nang)?

Hi Sandy great to see you are going to Khao Lak we went last year and are going to head back next year.

A great place to relax . We hired a car for 7 days from Phuket and drove up to Khoa Lak which was good then we could explore at will.

Where are you staying?

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there a bus or coach from Khao Lak to Krabi (Ao Nang)?

Hi KLJ,

We are staying at Nang Thong Bay Resort for 4 nights before heading to Krabi for 4 nights (then on to KohSamui for 6) but Khao Lak sounds so lovely I'm not sure if we should skip Krabi, and just split up our 2 weeks in KL & Koh Samui. Still pondering......

Cheers,

Sandy

Mentioned in this post
Nang Thong Bay Resort
Nang Thong Bay Resort
306 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak