We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How best to book a hotel in case of last minute cancellation

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
How best to book a hotel in case of last minute cancellation

Hi,

We have already booked our flights for November to go to HK for a couple of days and then from there with Air Asia to Phuket. Still to decide on hotels but in the meantime with the ash cloud that keeps re-appearing, I'm concerned if we book a hotel and have to pay a hefty deposit or full payment up front, if we never make it abroad, we will lose that money and our insurance won't cover it.

I know from past experience Hotel Travel.com only required payment a week beforehand, but that's not probably of much use. Ideally, if we can give 24 or 48 hours notice to cancel without incurring a fee, that would suit us as we'd know if our longhaul flight was running or not. Does anyone know which websites offer that short a notice period, or if we are better to book direct with hotels?

Thanks.

Bolton
Level Contributor
216 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How best to book a hotel in case of last minute cancellation

Hello

I've booked my Khao Lak hotel with asiarooms.com. They don't take payment from you, they simply use your credit card details to secure the room and you pay the hotel on departure, also they don't charge you a booking fee, cancellation fee or modification fee

Hope this helps

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How best to book a hotel in case of last minute cancellation

Thanks, when I booekd Asiarooms in the past, it has been a payment upfront so I just assumed all their bookings were like that. Will check that out then, but reassuring.

London
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How best to book a hotel in case of last minute cancellation

I would check the hotel terms. Was going to book a room today on a site I use all the time and noticed it said that 50% will be taken on booking but all is refundable if I cancel within 15 days of arrival date, first time I had come across that, used the site many times for hotel bookings. In fact all the hotels I was looking at in Khao Lak want 50% at time of booking no matter what site I looked at. If you find a web site let me know.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How best to book a hotel in case of last minute cancellation

Each resort and each booking site will have its own Terms & Conditions governing cancellation. When we used AsiaRooms they blocked my credit card with the total amount of my requested booking. This caused a deal of criticism in the past, particularly when cancellations were made. However, since becoming part of the Tui Group their T&Cs say "Asiarooms.com will confirm your booking and issue you with an email confirmation. Asiarooms.com will not deduct any money from your credit card. The accommodation or other service provider with which you enter into a contract will take payment."

You could also try sawadee.com at http://www.sawadee.com/hotels/phangnga.html

or Agoda at www.agoda.co.uk/cities/page.aspx…

and there are links at Khaolak Lovers.com at khaolaklovers.com/Khao-Lak-Resorts-and-Hotel…

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How best to book a hotel in case of last minute cancellation

Asiarooms has no booking/cancellation fee. They will require your credit card details for the reservation purpose. Some hotels will require full-prepayment and non-refundable. Some will not take out your money until you check in to the hotel. Read the terms carefully!

Booking.com is another good alternative choice. No booking fee, no deposit required, no advance purchase will be made. You pay all directly to the hotel but the cancellation terms are set by hoteliers so check out how many days they allow you to cancel with no charge.

You might find this helpful too

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c121265/Thail…

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How best to book a hotel in case of last minute cancellation

Thanks everyone, I will have a good look at the T&C for booking. I'm probably being a bit overly cautious but if we lost all the money for the booking, it would be such a blow, on top of not even being able to go! I have heard there are one or two travel companies that will cover so may look into that, it might be the best option but I know our current annual insurance has included a clause to exclude 'known event's, or however they refer to it now!

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How best to book a hotel in case of last minute cancellation

Hi,

I did read in a news paper the other day that Aviva will offer a policy as an extra add on to cover the ash cloud.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How best to book a hotel in case of last minute cancellation

Details of Aviva Ash Cloud Cover here thisismoney.co.uk/insurance/…

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How best to book a hotel in case of last minute cancellation

Just to say I re-insured with Direct Line. Apparently if you take out cover at the moment, when there is no air restriction, then you will be covered for any future disruption. All seemed a bit odd to me, but I double checked and triple checked with them. Just have to keep fingers crossed our holiday goes to plan!

10. Re: How best to book a hotel in case of last minute cancellation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2010, 11:50
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations