We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meridien or JW Marriott !!!!!

jersey channel...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
4 reviews
Meridien or JW Marriott !!!!!

Hi All,

Finally decided of to K L in Feb 2011 ( not been back since 2001 )

Having problem deciding where to stay ( lots of Choice )

We are Mid 40s couple with a 3 & half year old, and we will be taking freinds with us.

We like a gorg beach and good pool scene,

bars and restaurants walkable a plus as we like to walk out for light lunch and dinner now and then.

Short list so far Meridien/ Marriott ????

Any help please, which one to pick !!!!!!!

Budget not an issue at this stage. Many Thanks

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: Meridien or JW Marriott !!!!!

Hi,

Both hotels will tick your boxes as both are placed on gorgeous beaches and February time both will have access to some beach restaurants in walking distance as well as hotel shuttles into Khao Lak town if required. JW Marriott is newer but as I have not stayed here apart from babysitting on request it states junior club for young adults. Perhaps some one who has stayed here could say if there is much for the younger children. Le Meridien how ever does cater for children and its childrens club caters for them from 4 years to 12 under 4 with supervision and has a lazy river for children and play area also sand pit and lagoon area at the childrens pool outside play toys as well as what is inside the childrens club. Both hotels are excellent choices.

Julie

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Meridien or JW Marriott !!!!!

There is not much to choose between these "top end" resorts. They are both satiated on beautiful beaches. Le Meridien is on Pak Weeb, regarded as the best of Khao Lak's wonderful beaches, but Khuk Khak on which the JWM is located runs it a very close second.

It was the Le M that drew us to Khao Lak, we stayed there for two years running before settling on cheaper accommodation befitting our "poor pensioner" status (we return every year for Winter away from UK) and it remains overall our favourite KL resort.

I think the accommodation at the JWM has the edge, as it is newer, but what has the edge for me are the wonderful grounds.

Both, in the period you are considering, have beach restaurants either way along the beach and are both about 10-15 minutes by shuttle or taxi away from many more in Bang Niang and Bang La On, KL's two main townships.

Pics of the JWM at picasaweb.google.com/Arandora/CherFah… - please bear in mind these were 2009 covering the period when the JWM was being completed. It is now an established resort.

Pics of the Le Meridien at www.photobox.co.uk/my/album?album_id=24635279

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
327 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Meridien or JW Marriott !!!!!

I am currently at the LM with two young children 1 and 3 and I have to say it's a great place. After being here close to a week I decided to check out JW as it's newer and I wanted to know for next time.

I spent close to an hour walking around their grounds, I didn't look indoors, just at the lobby (which was very nice)... but overall I am VERY happy I chose the Meridien.

The meridien has much better grounds in my opinion. The JW seemed very simple. It was lacking in greenery (not lush like the LM) I didn't notice any outdoor childrens play area. The layout also seemed very straight forward, from the lobby you just want straight and you hit the beach. Whereas the LM is more scattered, into different areas.

For families I am quite confident to say the LM has a nice edge over the JW. LM has a mini gold, archery, thai boxing ring, little zoo, ponds, outdoor playground, outdoor water playground etc.. on grounds. Lots of fish to feed. The kids club has great activities and programs.

The driver (boss) mentioned to me that recently a large group held a wedding at the JW but they went to the LM for a meal and thought it was better.

Perhaps JW would be better for adults, as I didn't notice kids when I was there. The swim-up bar seemed lovely, but other than that I wasn't too impressed.

I haven't seen the rooms at JW (or at the LM for that matter as I'm in a villa)...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
327 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Meridien or JW Marriott !!!!!

BTW Arandora are you referring to the Meridien grounds when you say they have the edge??

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Meridien or JW Marriott !!!!!

Chaimdan,

Yes, very much prefer the Le M grounds. Thanks for spotting my mistake.

Glad to read you are enjoying yourselves.

uk
Level Contributor
233 posts
48 reviews
6. Re: Meridien or JW Marriott !!!!!

Hi, We have stayed at both the J W Marriott this April and Le Meridien in 2007 and 08 as Alan said the grounds restaurants beach are much nicer at Le Meridien but the rooms are newer at the JWM so have the edge. We would choose Le Meridien every time.

7. Re: Meridien or JW Marriott !!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2010, 12:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak