We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay and hotels

London
Level Contributor
182 posts
Where to stay and hotels

We are thinking of going later in the year. I want a beach front hotel which is not too far from restaurants (and shopping!). We have are 2 young children so want to be able to take them out at night in buggies. Any suggestions? budget want a nice hotel but not over the top.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: Where to stay and hotels

Hi,

Have a look at this link which explains the different beach areas

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914-c120551/Kha…

You will find that beach front you pay a bit more have a look at this link for accommadation options

www.khaolak.de

Nang Thong Bay 1 and 2 are popular Khao Lak

La Flora Bang Niang

Ramada Bang Niang

Chong Fah Bang Niang

In Bang Niang there is nice accommadation 1 road and 2 roads back and it is only minutes to the beach Furama Xpress is very nice which is behind the Chong Fah.

Julie

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Where to stay and hotels

What period are you thinking of and about how much per night ideally? Does it have to be beachfront or just back from?

All resorts on Khao Lak (South Beach) the first one you reach coming from Phuket are beach front but whilst there are several restaurants near by, more are over the mountain in Bang La On about 10 minutes away by taxi. The Merlin, Briza and Emerald are popular choices.

The next beach dropping down over the mountain is Khao Lak Sunset Beach. There are no independent restaurants on the beach here though but you can walk down the promenade (great views particularly at sunset) into Bang La On (abouit 10 - 20 mins depending which resort you stay at) and get a taxi back. The Khao Lak Resort is a nice resort.

The next beach is Nang Thong Beach which is down the highway fromBang La On which has the most number of restaurants, bars and shops. Again popular choices are the large Laguna (particularly the beachfront villas), the Ban Khao Lak, Suwan Palm and Seaview which are all hotel style, and the Nang Thong Bay Resorts I and II which are bungalowstyle with hotel rooms. Just across the beach road is the Bhandari and its newer sister the Oriental.

Then just 10 minutes up the highway is the rapidly developing Bang Niang with restaurants on the highway and down to the beach where beach fron resorts include the Ramada, La Flora, Chong Fah, Ayara Villas and the soon to be completed Casa del Flora.

The choice is yours!

if you want more info any you fancy, just ask.

Links to recent photos of the beaches can ve found at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Where to stay and hotels

Yes....Please be more specific on your travel dates....For instance,November/December is the high season and prices will @ least be double low season rates.....

We stayed @ Nang Thong Bay Resort 1(which is mentioned above)last July/August for 12 days and it cost us 1000 baht/night to stay in a garden bungalow.....At the time,the beach bungalows cost 1200 baht/night and the superior rooms cost 1000 baht/night for a 12 day stay.....The beach bungalows do not have TV,so take that into account for the children.....Altho' it is a matter of seconds from Bungalow to beach...

NTBR also have a kiddies pool - Perfect for the toddlers...!!...

Khao Lak must be very quiet this low season if Phuket is extremely quiet...

London
Level Contributor
182 posts
4. Re: Where to stay and hotels

Thank you for your replies. We will be going 16th December, I know it is peak season usually go at the end of November but we have no choice this year!

We want a beach front hotel, ideally a room/bungalow on the beach if not a sea view. We want to be able to walk to restaurants in the evening. Which beaches would be best, the children are 4 and 2 yrs and in the evening we take them out in buggies as after a day in the pool they will be tired! I haven't put a budget but I guess something for 11000bht/night would be reasonable at that time of year?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Where to stay and hotels

How long do you plan on staying in Khao Lak? 11000 baht per night is more than reasonable for this period, even if you are staying over the peak Xmas period. For that budget you should, subject to availability have the choice of any resort in Khao Lak with the exception of the Sarojin, the Le Meridien and the J W Marriott which in any event I don't think match your criteria of walking to restaurants in the evening, other than a few nearby on the beaches.

Have a look at this list on AsiaRooms.com where I put 7 & 14 days from 16th December just to get an idea of price. The ones I think that would most tick your boxes would be:

The Ramada - great resort on widest and best part of Bang Niang Beach. Very popular beach area with families. Not a big resort but good facilities and within east walking distance of restaurants, shops and bars in all directions.

The La Flora - showing Full on the list but worth Googling for. Next door to the Ramada with same advantages for location. Bigger and more accommodation choices.

Fx Hotel Khao Lak, formerly the Bang Niang Beach Resort - located about 300 metres north from the Ramada but one side road back for hotel rooms and another road back for bungalow accommodation, both having their own pools, from Bang Niang Beach (2 minutes). Good recommendations from TA members staying there recently and, again, well placed for restaurants etc...

Laguna Resort - first resort you reach coming over the mountain into the main township of Bang La on. Large, stretching from the highway down to the southern end of Nang Thong Beach where it crosses on to Sunset Beach. Accommodation from the highway to the beach, where beachfront bungalows receive best reviews. Has its own kiddies pool. Restaurants across the road and 5 minutes away you have all of Bang La On to go at.

Baan Khao Lak - next door to the Laguna. Mainly bungalows with rooms at the rear of the resort. Smaller but has same location advantages.

Nang Thong Bay Resort I & II - not on list. Book direct or through khaolak.de (English version available). Very popular and well recommended sister resorts. No.I being the more established. Mainly bungalows, the ones by the beach being highly recommended. 5 - 10 minutes walk to centre of Bang La On. Not on my favourite beach area I must admit.

See http://tinyurl.com/22u7egh

If you fancy further info on these or any ones further afield on other beaches e.g Orchid Resort on Khuk Khak Beach, Merlin on Khao Lak Beach, just ask.

London
Level Contributor
182 posts
6. Re: Where to stay and hotels

Arandora thank you so much for your detailed reply.

We have a booking at the Chong Fah but I'm very concerned that they want me to transfer half the cost now. Have no problems with credit cards but have never done a bank transfer for hotels. Do you think this is normal?

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
7. Re: Where to stay and hotels

Hi,

It is quite normal for hotels to ask for 50% deposit, some hotel booking sites ask for full payment. Some of the hotels I used last year I paid the 50% by credit card and some hotels asked for payment on arrival.I have never had a problem with any payment as you should recieve a payment reciept from them by e mail with confirmation. I sent them my details by fax machine. The Chong Fah is reputable and a popular hotel.

Julie

London
Level Contributor
182 posts
8. Re: Where to stay and hotels

Jule/Arandora

Thank you. Confused about what to do. Looking at the Ramada now, know that I have to pay 50% now but I can pay by credit card. Concerned that the Chong Fah want the money to go into a personal account by bank transfer.

Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: Where to stay and hotels

It is not really a personal account in the sense you are probably familiar. It is the personal account of the MD (also the owner) of the resort which is used for bookings income. It's quite a common practice with independently owned resorts. Rest assured if there had been any difficulties with this method at this resort there would have been posts on this forum.

However, since you have not yet committed yourself could I just point out that the kiddies@ pool at the Cher Fah is very small, as is the main pool, and both are tiled with black tiles and the surroundings become extremely hot in the heat of the day. Also the resort is elevated above the beach with a drop of over a metre from the frontage to the beach which is narrow at this point with the sea coming upto the sea wall at high tide.

The Ramada on the other hand is located on the widest stretch of Bang Niang Beach and there is always a wide part left uncovered by the sea. The kiddies'' pool is larger and in my view facilities for families with young children better.

London
Level Contributor
182 posts
10. Re: Where to stay and hotels

Arandora

Thank you so much for your replies. I think we have now decided to go to the Ramada. Having read another post of on another forum about someone having problems with a hotel booking (it wasn't any hotels in this area) I feel much happier booking the Ramada on a site I have used many times and also as you say, think the Ramada may be better for us as the girls will spend the day in the pool. I trust that the pool is larger at the Ramada.

Ange