We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some questions about buying things and more

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
327 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Some questions about buying things and more

Hi,

I'm visiting end of June... I am staying at KL Meridien. Whats my best bet for buying fruit and vegetables (non tourist prices)...? How am I best getting there?

Also wondering if anyone has ever seen portable grills (to make a BBQ) sold in the area or in Thailand alltogether...

Anyone care to guess what it would cost me to send a driver from Khao Lak to Patong to pick up something and bring it to me in the hotel? am I better renting a car in KL or the hotel if such a thing exists?

Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some questions about buying things and more

There is a large 3 times a week market in Bang Niang behind the 711 Mini Market on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays, open from about 2pm to 7pm selling fruit, vegetable, fish, seafood, housewares as well as local and tourist clothing/souvenirs. Also the main daily market (Monday to Saturday, closes lunchtime on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays as stallholders have stalls at Bang Niang Market) behind Khuk Khak Bus Station.

The Le M shuttle goes to the 3 times weekly market (confusingly both are called Bang Niang Market although they are about 2km apart!) so is a good place to shop and visit the famous Police Boat Tsunami memorial across the road and/or have a drink or a meal at one of the restaurants near the market. For the daily market you could get a taxi from outside the main gate of Le Meridien. About 200-250 baht each way I would think.

Nearby to the Khuk Khak Market on the highway to the left as you leave the market and to the right at the corner on the opposite side are general stores which sell nearly everything. If they don't have a portable grill I'm sure they will tell you where to get one.

Out of curiosity, where do you plan on using one?

As for sending a driver, not to sure about who would provide that service. You could rent a car from Le M or Budget and Hertz have offices in Khao Lak. It will probably cost about 2000 baht per day. The Budget office is next door to the recommended Smile restaurant on your left just past Moo Moo's Cabaret Bar and before the Bang Niang Market. So you could enquire there when you go to the market. There will be plenty of taxi drivers outside the market too where you could haggle for a return trip to Patong. Self-drive to Patong would take about two and a half hours each way and is pretty tricky in Patong if you are not familiar with it.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
327 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some questions about buying things and more

Thanks a lot for your help... much appreciated...

About the market, would it make sense for me to stop there on my way from the airport on wednesday to stock up (as I land 3:30, and have arranged with a driver to take me for 1200 baht - "better than hotels" I think the e-mail was cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com)..

Also do they carry all the neat tropical fruit?

re the BBQ we were thinking if we get a private villa (at the LM) or perhaps some place else... (we have special dietary requirements...)

I've been reading a lot about things to do here but not sure what is available during the rain season (end of June).. do you have any suggestions of nice activities worth doing with our little ones (1 and 4)?

Are there any interesting shows in the area, I understand there's an elephant park... Similian is closed, is it worth considering Phi Phi or is it too hectic/dangerous this time of year?

we will be in Chiang Mai for a week prior to this so we will definitely get a good amount done there...

Thanks again!!

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some questions about buying things and more

Hi,

Have a look at this site for things to do in the green season

www.khaolakaktiv.net/english/activities.html

Phi Phi by speedboat would be a long day as you travel to Phuket for the boat around 1.5 to 2 hours each way. Also this time of the year it would be weather dependant as the sea crossings can get very choppy. I experienced a rough crossing in March which is still high season and it was not very pleasant at all .

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some questions about buying things and more

The market should still be open When you drive past on the way from the airport (unless there has been a big downpour when it usually closes) and I'm sure Boss, or his driver at Cheaper than Hotels, will stop for you while you do a quick shop (and, yes, there is a great range of fruits that are in season). You can also ask the driver about taking you to and from Patong.

As for thinks to do, the Asia Elephant & Safari Park opposite the Khao Lak Merlin Resort is good for elephant trekking but may be too rough terrain for your little ones (great Kids Club at Le M by the way).

Phi Phi would be quite a journey from Khao Lak. A day trip to Khao Sok National Park about an hour north of the Le M is a good option and there are elephant treks there. Have a look at Khao Lak Land Discovery at www.khaolaklanddiscovery.com/bookings.php and Khao Sok Explorer at khao-sok-explorer.e-monsite.com/accueil.html for some ideas,

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some questions about buying things and more

Just as a note to Julie's post, the activities in the Khao Lak Activ programme are included free with 3 day stays at participating resorts. They are still being developed as independent activities bookable seperately.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some questions about buying things and more

Hello...Anny and I are mad crazy fruit eaters...We love fruit...!!....

We stocked up piles of fruit at least 2 to 3 times per week over a 4 week period...We bought fruit from Bang Niang markets but found that the markets behind Khuk Khak shops had more variety and fresher fruits....

A young girl mans the Khuk Khak fruit stall...It is the only fruit stall in Khuk Khak markets.....

She has mangosteen,dragonfruit,mini bananas,longans and mangoes and some other fruit we tried but can't remember the name of them..??.....

Unfortunately,she did'nt have salat(not in season)....

So nice to sample exotic fruits in such a wonderful place...!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some questions about buying things and more

Sorry...Just got told off by my wonderful Anny....

We,well she ate plenty of salat,so it is in season in June....However I was thinking of lamoot which is a favourite of ours and it is not in season in June...Whew..??..

Anyway,rambutans are a plenty and also pomelo/delicious eaten chilled on a hot day....

Does anybody know the fruit that is round and about the size of a cantaloupe....light fawnish color hard outer skin with strange whitish fleshy inners...taste is fairly sweet and tangy with largish black seeds....??...Not a very easy fruit to actually eat as it is difficult to separate the seed from the flesh....

We can't for the life of us remember the name of this fruit...??...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
327 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some questions about buying things and more

In Chiang Mai and I've been loving the Passion fruit and yellow mangos... They're also very cheap (20 passion fruit for 50 baht..)

Do you think I can find those in this market on Wednesday?

Also what options are there for cheaper (than hotel) massages during rainy season? are any walking distance from hotel? I would need a place with AC, as I can't stand the heat... Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some questions about buying things and more

Hi,

If the fruitsare in season, you will find them at the market.

As for an enclosed massage parlour with AC, there are none to my knowledge within walking distance of Le M even in the Dry Season. The nearest ones then are on the beach either side but sheltered from the sun with ocean breezes to cool you as are many along the coastline.

Your best bet would be 10 minutes by taxi down the highway at Bang Niang where there are massage places on the highway opposite to the road leading down to the beach next to the 711 and a number on either side of this road down to the beach. How many will be open in the Wet Season is hard to say as many of the masseuses come to KL for the Dry Season from Bangkok and the North. Other parlours in the main town of Bang La On.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
327 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some questions about buying things and more

Thanks for the reply.. Would it make sense renting a scooter? I recall hearing that the LM rents them, albeit not the cheapest prices... I don't suppose I can rent an atv....?!

Also would the 711 carry diapers? anywhere else to get them?

Thanks again.. I am heading there tomorrow! cant wait...

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations