We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low season - where to eat?

Donaghadee, United...
Level Contributor
646 posts
104 reviews
Low season - where to eat?

All probs permitting we will be in KLak in 2 weeks. Where can we eat and drink outside Sarojin? Is it worth a visit to Meridian?Is there anywhere nearby? And if we get shuttle into KL where should we head?

Just having a panic that my other half will get bored. Any hotels that do good specials eg a good Sunday brunch or a good seafood night?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Low season - where to eat?

Although a number of restaurants in and around Khao Lak, particularly on the beaches, have already closed for the Wet Season, you will still find a good choice open, particularly in Bang Niang (10 mins by shuttle or taxi from the Sarojin) or Bang La On (15 mins).

In Bang Niang among those remaining open and recommended are Hill Tribes - Chiang Mai based cuisine(on the left on the highway past the Police Boat heading towards Bang La On), Khao Niau - Isan/N.Thai cuisine (on the right just after the 711 in front of the 3 times a week - Monday, Wednesday and Saturday - market) and The Candle - Thai fusion by an ex-Sarojin chef (turn right at the 711 down the Beach Road and its 100 metres on the right) Others down the Beach Road and along and overlooking the beach - Chong Fah Restaurant and Chong Fah Resort Restaurant (great 2 for 1 cocktails at sunset and various special meals, BBQs, buffets etc), Coconut Grove, Ramada & La Flora - good resort restaurants.

In Bang La On many others remaining open including Khao Lak Sea Food, Busabba, Nom's Family Restaurant, Jai, Phu Khao Lak,, Weerapat's Kitchen and our favourite Everyday Lazy House.

Get a taxi upto the Bang Sak Promenade about 10 - 15 mins north of Sarojin, where you will find several local restaurants with dining overlooking the ocean.

If you want a really great local restaurant get a taxi to the Bamboo Floating Restaurant about 20 mins north of Sarojin at Bang Muang, just past the turn for the Tsunami Memorial at Ban Nam Khem and the ferry to Koh Kho Khao (both well worth a visit).

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: Low season - where to eat?

Hi,

The Le Meridien do a really nice seafood buffet but it is expensive around 1200B per person but then you need to add the service charge and tax 17%.

Here is a link to the Bamboo Floating restaurant that Arandora has mentioned and it is well worth a visit and still a favourite with the local people.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k26…

Julie

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Low season - where to eat?

Hi Alan,Just putting in my 2 bobs worth....Unfortunately Phu Khao Lak restaurant was closed last July/August.....I really wanted to try there...!!??

However,PKL is right in Bang La On,so no harm in checking to see if they are open this year....

But you're right about the Bang Sak promenade restaurants....Of all places open,we thought they would definitely be closed.....They were open...!!...so, we ordered our lunch meals and ate across the road overlooking the beach in the small gazebos....The location sure made the meal taste better methinks...!!??...

Chong Fah Restaurant(?)overlooking the beach,waves and people is good value too....

Is Chong Fah Resort restaurant and Chong Fah restaurant two different places Alan...??...

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Low season - where to eat?

Yes, the Chong Fah Restaurant is the first restaurant on your right at the bottom of the beach road in Bang Niang, directly overlooking the beach. The Chong Fah Resort, owned and run by the other place's sister is about 100 metres along the beachto the right and is a small, very popular, boutique resort with an excellent restaurant with dining inside or outside overloking the beach. Excellent 2 for 1 cocktails at sunset. Also a late Happy Hour fat 10pm or a drink before bed.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
5. Re: Low season - where to eat?

Thankyou for clarifying my Chong Fah question...!!

2 for 1 cocktails @ Sunset sounds great to me....Unlike the 140 baht each,fruit cocktails we were charged @ Sunny Restaurant...!!???....

Maybe these guys should start running tuk tuks in Khao Lak....!!??.....

Perth
Level Contributor
583 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Low season - where to eat?

Hey Cocotang,

We will make sure we buy a 2 for 1 cocktail and have it for you and Annie in August. Probably have 4 for 2 !!!!!! while we are there :-)

tanmar

Edited: 20 May 2010, 19:58
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
7. Re: Low season - where to eat?

Hey Tanmar,

Have 8 for 4 if ya like...Hahahaa..!!...Gonna miss you guys this year...Would have liked to gone riding with you guys again...That was great....!!!

I only have 2 weeks to spare for hols this year on account of a court date I have....

Anny and I are going to Vanuatu for our first time on June 2....We know it won't be as cheap as Thailand but such a short time(2 weeks) just does'nt do Khao Lak justice in our eyes,so maybe we'll meet up again next year.....

Kev and Julie just came back from Egypt so I don't think they'll be heading to Thailand this year too....

katherine
Level Contributor
63 posts
8. Re: Low season - where to eat?

Hi,

we are staying at the Ramanda, is the Chong Fah restaurant within walking distance?

Cheers Matt

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: Low season - where to eat?

If you walk along the beach to your right, you have La Flora then the Mukdara then the Chong Fah restaurant. about 200 metres. Next door but one is the Chong Fah Resort which also has a very good restaurant open to non-residents with Happy Hour 2 for 1 cocktails from 5.30pm to 6.30 pm and often from 10pm to 11pm too. Great for a pre-dinner cocktail at sunset. Turn right on to the road from the highway, follow that up to T junction, turn left down to the beach and the Chong Fah is on the corner on your right overlooking the beach. About 300 metres this way passing other restaurants, bars and shops.

10. Re: Low season - where to eat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2010, 13:02
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak