We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket en route to KL

Melbourne
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Phuket en route to KL

Hello Khao Lak lovers & experts! You guys are fabulous & soooo helpful on this forum. Many of you have already helped us plan our 10 days in Khao Lak in June-July this year, but now with the unrest in Bangkok we think we might need to drop our 3 days there and go straight to Phuket for the 3 days en route to Khao Lak.

I was in Phuket 23 years ago & believe it is now a very, very different place. I tried asking for accommodation advice on the Phuket forum and those guys don't seem to be as fast or helpful as you are! Do any Khao Lak lovers know Phuket as well?

We would like to stay somewhere with lots of vibrant, local community for dining, shopping etc. Obviously it won't replicate Bangkok, but we would like a contrast to the beauty and peace we are looking forward to in KL. We don't like giant, international style hotels, but do love a good beach, beachfront location and good pools - probably 4 to 5 star. We are a family of 4 with children aged 7 and 11.

Thanks again for making this such a great forum!

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Phuket en route to KL

Kata Beach Resort is great for families. Kids pool and adult pool overlooking the beach and good shops and restaurants close by. You won't recognise Phuket after 23 years, and might be a bit disappointed as its now quite expensive and a huge tourist trap.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Phuket en route to KL

I would agree with dragonC about Phuket in general but can't comment specifically on Kata or other areas that would fit your requirements. We now use Phuket as a gateway to Khao Lak, returning there in between going home via Kuala Lumpur to shop at Tesco, Central or Big C or in Phuket Town. We last stayed in Phuket in 1995 on Karon Beach and found Patong too much then. Now!!! Sorry, each to his own but not our style. We revisited Karon Beach this year and found it more like an extension of Patong separated by a hill. Kata seemed nice as we drove throough with a nicer beach.

There are nicer but quieter parts which I hope others may come along and advise you about.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Phuket en route to KL

Thanks for the advice, we have heard similar things to your warnings about Phuket, so we are only expecting to shop & see a busier side of Thailand in the absence of a visit to BK. Then we know we have Khao Lak to look forward to - sounds like heaven (perhaps like Phuket was all those years ago!) - can't wait.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
4. Re: Phuket en route to KL

Hi,

Kata is a very nice resort which I prefer to Karon as the beach is nicer. In Kata you have the choice of 2 beaches kata Noi which is the smaller and then the main Kata beach. The Katathani is a lovely award winning hotel on the beach at Kata Noi within a 5 minute walk you have katanoi village with plenty of restaurants also a few restaurants and shops plus mini mart outside this hotel. You also have the main kata center which is a few minutes in a tuk tuk. Kata Noi beach IMHO is the nicest.

www.katathani.com

Another hotel which i have only been to the restaurant there is the Marina which is popular this is at Karon beach southern end nearest to Kata.

www.marinaphuket.com

As already mentioned Kata Beach resort is nice.

There are plenty of shops bars and restaurants around Kata and Karon.

Julie

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Phuket en route to KL

My suggestion is also Kata and if you want beach front either Kata Beach Resort or the Katathani should suit you. There are plenty of shopping & restaurant choices in Kata, Katathani is over the next hill and a little further to walk to the main Kata area, but I have read there are a few little eating places within walking distance from there. I returned to Phuket for the first time a few years ago (after a 17 year absence) and got a huge shock, but now I just take it for what it is. Lee

6. Re: Phuket en route to KL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2010, 11:09