We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak Merlin in late May - services around the resort?

Helsinki, Finland
12 posts
Save Topic
Khao Lak Merlin in late May - services around the resort?

Hello!

We are a 30-year old Finnish couple and we are staying at Merlin for two weeks starting in May 27. Our priority for our holiday is relaxation. However we would like to know how many restautants, bars, souvenir shops etc. stay open in off season near Merlin and also in Khao Lak Centre?

What about the excursions? Are there local travel acencies near Merlin? I have heard that there must be a minimum amount of participants (usually 4 person) or you have to pay extra. Is that true?

I have a question also concerning the elephant safaris. Are there two elephant safaris (Asia Safari and Khao Lak Eco Elephant Safari) also in off season near by Merlin?

What about the beach? Will there probably be a red flag most of the time or not?

Thank you in advance for all your answers!

Mentioned in this post
Patong Merlin Hotel
Patong Merlin Hotel
1,848 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak Merlin in late May - services around the resort?

Hi,

I have not been in the green season so can not tell you how many restaurants will be open but you have Jo Seafood which usually stays open and there are also a few on the highway so you will have a choice. The Hello bar on the highway i can recomend the food is very good there. You will find many more restaurants at Bang La On a short tuk tuk ride of 150B , banks , mini marts plus shops and a further 5 minutes from there Bang Niang. The Hello bar sells tours and your hotel should also have a tour desk. You will also find tour agencies in Khao Lak Bang La On. Khao Lak Land Discovery is very good. www.khaolaklanddiscovery.com. I have always gone on join in group excursions but once my husband booked a trip and as he was alone he was asked to pay a bit more for them to run the trip for him. In the green season the sea conditions can be rough and stormy.

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Khao Lak Land Discovery
Khao Lak Land Discovery
681 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak Merlin in late May - services around the resort?

In addition to Julie's comments,

There is just the one elephant trek, Asia Elephant & Safari Village, which is located across the highway from the road leading down to the Merlin - see holiday-service-khaolak.com/en/index.php.

There are plenty of tour operators in Bang la on but the biggest and one probably offering you the biggest choice is Khao Lak Land Discovery at http://www.khaolaklanddiscovery.com/index.php

The beach adjoining the Merlin is acalled Poseidon Beach and is a lovely walk but there are rocks and you should exercise great care if you do go swimming if the sea is rough. as there are no lifewguards or warning flags.

Mentioned in this post
Patong Merlin Hotel
Patong Merlin Hotel
1,848 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Lak Land Discovery
Khao Lak Land Discovery
681 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
3. Re: Khao Lak Merlin in late May - services around the resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2010, 12:18
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak