We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak late May? Au Thong Beach Bungalows OK for singles?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak late May? Au Thong Beach Bungalows OK for singles?

Hi,

I'm thinkg about going to Au Thong Beach Bungalows on the 28th may. But I wonder If I'll get bored.

I will spend 2 nights in Patong (although I think this is far to busy for me) and then heading to Khao Lak. Though as I'm travelling alone I wander if I'll be able to meet people there or if it's going to be empty...

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,401 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak late May? Au Thong Beach Bungalows OK for singles?

Aow Thong Beach used to be one of Khao Lak's best kept secrets but now in the Dry Season, particularly from late December to early March, it is probably its most popular day trip with visitors laid out like sardines on loungers in front of the 3 restaurants each with bungalows at the rear. However, from May with the arrival of the Wet Season and with very few vii tors and guests staying in the bungalows, although you will see White Sand and the wider Pak Weeb beaches in their more natural splendour, it will be very quiet. As there are no other restaurants in the vicinity other than the more expensive ones at the nearby Sarojin, you would need to get a taxi into Bang Niang (10 minutes) or Bang La On (15 minutes) where you will find more restaurants, bars and shops and visitors with resorts open offering great rates that would offer alternative accommodation options that would be less secluded and lonely for a single person.

Mentioned in this post
White Sand Beach
White Sand Beach
2,168 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
1,858 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak late May? Au Thong Beach Bungalows OK for singles?

Hi,

I quite often travel to Khao Lak as a lone traveller and love this area allthough I have never been here in what is classed as the green season. If it was me I would choose the Bang Niang area or Bang La On if you are wanting to meet others as it can sometimes be lonely when you are on your own.

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
London, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak late May? Au Thong Beach Bungalows OK for singles?

I have just come back from Khao Lak at the Le Meridien and went down to Ao Thong and it was very quiet not many customers you may find it quite lonely.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Le Meridien Phuket Beach...
3,470 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
melbourne
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak late May? Au Thong Beach Bungalows OK for singles?

Does anyone know if the restaurant at Ao Thong bungalows be operating in July? I'm thinking of staying at the Sarojin for a few nights, and while I can just afford their low season rates, I certainly won't be able to eat there every night!

We last stayed there in October 06 and ate nearly every lunch and dinner at Mr Neung's place (the middle of the 3 beach restaurants). I know that July is pretty much the middle of the low season, and that many places will be closed - so I thought I'd better ask before commitiing my hard-earned!

Mentioned in this post
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
1,858 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,401 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak late May? Au Thong Beach Bungalows OK for singles?

I'm pretty certain that Mr.Nueng's restaurant at Ao Thong Bungalows is open all year but you can confirm by contacting him through his website at http://www.aothongbeach.com/index.html

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Khao Lak late May? Au Thong Beach Bungalows OK for singles?

Hi there,

I spoke to Mr Nueng yesterday and he said that he's considering closing down Restaurant and Bungalow for the low season until September 2010. This low season seems to get very low indeed.....

My rec for you also would be to come to Bang Niang, this is the place where also the Thais go out for drink and food, so it is more alive even during the low season than say places up the beach or even La On itself...

Hualan

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
melbourne
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Khao Lak late May? Au Thong Beach Bungalows OK for singles?

Thanks everyone - I did email Aothong bungalows but haven't heard back yet - but from the sounds of it, it sounds like we won't be booking the Sarojin. Oh well, looks like we will be spending our entire holiday in Bang Niang.....not that that will be too difficult!

Mentioned in this post
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
1,858 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Paris, France
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Khao Lak late May? Au Thong Beach Bungalows OK for singles?

Thank you all for the information. AuThong Beach Bungallows have got back to me and said they would be closed.. perhaps it will better for me to go to Karon beach as I heard Koh Lanta was rainy and most of things are empty. probably the best would just be to go to Samui. It seems there is good weather there, but I really need to spend one day in Phuket for personnal reasons.. any ideas are welcome!

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Karon Beach
Karon Beach
5,864 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Khao Lak late May? Au Thong Beach Bungalows OK for singles?

We were in Khao Lak last July/August and yes...Au Tong beach bungalows and restaurant was closed and very quiet....Too quiet for even couples...maybe..??.

However,do yourself a great favour and please don't dismiss Khao Lak as a destination to bypass....

There is plenty of places to stay in town(Bang La On)as well and altho' it is very quiet in town also....Most places will be open and there is a beautiful friendly vibe in the air.....

Yes...There is a good chance it will rain during the evening....The daytimes we experienced were just gorgeous...!!.....What's a bit of tropical rain between friends anyway...??...

Late May last year was fairly fine tho' June was shocking with high winds and lotsa rain(info from a reliable source)

You will meet people in town,at the resort,wherever....We did...!!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
10. Re: Khao Lak late May? Au Thong Beach Bungalows OK for singles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2010, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak