We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountains in Khao Lak

Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Mountains in Khao Lak

I would like to go to Khao Lak. My wife is not so attracted going to Khao Lak due to what happend in connection with the tsunami in 2004. I have read that warning systems have been installed. However, if there would be a new tsunami, are there any mountains to climb in order to avoid the waves? Maybe a stupid question, but I need an answer in order to convince my wife to go to Khao Lak.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Mountains in Khao Lak

There are warning sirens in that area that are tested evry low season to ensure that they are still working. As well, evacuation centers have been built throughout the area. And there are mountains in the entire area around 3km from the beach.

Hope this helps.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Mountains in Khao Lak

We stay in Bang Niang about 5 minutes stroll to the beach. In March there was a Tsunami warning triggered by an earthquake in Indonesia and we, like most other guests and residents of the beach side of the highway followed the Evacuation Route across the highway and up towards Chong Fah Waterfall well past and elevated from where a Wave could reach. The warning was given about 2 hours before any wave would have reached Khao Lak from Indonesia giving plenty of time for an orderly evacuation. It was passed from Phuket which receives earlier notice. The alarm was called off after about an hour when it was confirmed that a tsunami had not resulted from the earthquake.

Although unsettling at the time, the procedure confirmed that the early warning system was in place and working. If this system had been in place in 2004 the loss of life from the Boxing Day Tsunami would undoubtedly been considerably less.

3. Re: Mountains in Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2010, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak