We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Boatyard Restaurant

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
The Boatyard Restaurant

Previous visitors to Khao Lak may have read about its origins from a Tsunami Volunteer project to one of its favourite and best beach restaurants at the back of the menu. For you and those who do go there you will find a copy of details of this wonderful transition from tragedy to success at file.walagata.com/w/arandora/Boatyard0001.pdf

and some pictures to whet your appetite at picasaweb.google.com/Arandora/Boatyard…

Unfortunately because of weather conditions the Boatyard closes from the end of April to the middle of October.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: The Boatyard Restaurant

Hi Alan,Hope you're settling in to a wonderful spring @ home...!!??...And...getting the Khao Lak blues again...??...

Love your pics of the Boatyard especially with cape Paka's in the background...

Could you refresh my memory please...??...What is a the big blue stable like looking building out near the Boatyard.....It is obviously a restaurant and it was closed during low season....as is the Boatyard....

The stable had a sign post with all different name places on it situated away from the building....Do you know what or where I am talking about...??...

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: The Boatyard Restaurant

The "stable" IS the Boatyard! LOL and as described in the notes I attached was one of the buildings where volunteers built a new fleet of longtail boats for local fishermen to replace those lost in the Tsunami. The signpost outside points to the countries and cities where the volunteers came from.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: The Boatyard Restaurant

Well I'll be...??....The Stable is the Boatyard...??....

If you could only see the Stable/Boatyard during low season......

The Boatyard is fully enclosed with walls and a huge double door @ the front...

Also the grounds during low season is overgrown with that beach weed ground cover....And just a track to the restaurant with all the surrounding ground overgrown....The signpost is also overgrown with grasses and weeds up to about halfway up the post.....Looks totally different which baffled me when viewing your Boatyard pics....!!??....Thanks for the explanation...!!...

It looks like an abandoned building during low season....!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: The Boatyard Restaurant

Cliff,

I just cannot envisage the Boatyard as you describe it as we've never been in the Wet Season. If you return this year (or anyone else reading this) I'd appreciate a pic.

Alan

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
5. Re: The Boatyard Restaurant

Alan,

Anny took many a pic of the Boatyard,the signpost and surrounding area during our stay in July/August.....

Unfortunately none of the pics turned out-my black camera is faulty and disappointed us both to the max....

However, I can assure you that your pics of the Boatyard baffled both Anny and myself...??....We could not recognise the Boatyard or the grounds being the Stable...??...

However,both buildings were blue(tho' the stable walls were a maroon color).....

Due to an upcoming court case,we are unable to return this year...

Maybe a browse on Webshots or Youtube for low season Khao Lak....??

6. Re: The Boatyard Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2010, 11:06