We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on my choice of hotels please?

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
122 reviews
Advice on my choice of hotels please?

Hi,

I'm coming to Khao Lak with my partner in November and have narrowed down a few hotels to choose from, although will probably add to that list over the next few weeks again! So far I've got the Baan Khao Lak, Bhandari and maybe the Khao Lak Sunset resort as options.

While we would love to stay in much more expensive places, we're somewhat limited by our budget, I guess I was reckoning on about £80 a night max. We want to be able to walk to restaurants, 10 minutes would be okay, not fussed about night life, want a nice pool, nice room but we're happy with the cheapest room in a nicer hotel. We have stayed at the BKL before (their 2 floor cottage was lovely), only thing that wasnt' great was the brekkie, but I thought it might be nice to try a different place. Budget does seem to be limiting us a lot more than I had thought!

Does anyone have any thoughts? Or is our best bet the BKL?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Advice on my choice of hotels please?

Sunset and Bhandari are further up the mountain so they are a bit further to walk to restaurants. Try Khao Lak Resort. It is located near the bottom end of the mountain and closer to shops and restaurants.

Another option is to look at resorts in on Bang Niang beach. Plenty of great restaurant choices in that area but I think the beach isnt as nice.

London
Level Contributor
397 posts
80 reviews
2. Re: Advice on my choice of hotels please?

Have you consdiered the Chong Fah? We stayed there last year, and it was one of the most gorgeous hotels we've ever been to. Beautiful and comfortable rooms, a lovely pool, incredibly helpful staff, and we probably had the best food of anywhere during our travels in the hotel restaurant- breakfasts were excellent. On top of that, the hotel is right on the beach, and within a couple of minutes walk of loads of restaurants.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Advice on my choice of hotels please?

The Bhandari is on the opposite side of the beach road turning right from the road leading down from the Nang Thong Supermarket next to its newer sister resort the Oriental. Just up from the Nang Thing Bay Resort which is worth considering with rooms meeting your budget.

I would agree about the Chong Fah but the beachfront rooms, though super, are expensive.

The Bang Niang Beach Resort is another choice with recent good reviews on this forum.

The Sunset is an "ok resort" but in need of renovation IMHO.

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
200 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Advice on my choice of hotels please?

Hi

We recently stayed at Chong Fah Hotel in 1 of their standard rooms, and were very happy, the pool is great, the hotel itself is right on the beach front and only minutes walk away from plenty of great restaurants - I think we paid just over £80 per night.

Take a look at my recent review and photos.

Edited: 24 April 2010, 14:29
Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
122 reviews
5. Re: Advice on my choice of hotels please?

Thanks everyone, more confused than ever. I asked about the prices at the ChongFah a month or two back as it looked really nice but the cheapest rooms are 5500b which I guess is closer to £110 a night, which would really be stretching the holiday fund. One day.....

Looks like I had better start showing the options to the other half and see what he thinks.

newcastle
Level Contributor
184 posts
57 reviews
6. Re: Advice on my choice of hotels please?

Hi we have just returned from Bang Niang beach resort (furama xpress). I have posted a review of hotel but it will take a day or two to be published. The hotel is right behind the chong far hotel. It is 2 mins to beach and a few mins walk to many shops and restaurants. There are 2 parts to the hotel, there are bungalow style buildings with their own pool, and also the hotel building with its own pool. we had a great time there and i would certainly stay there again!

we booked our room through the hotels web site and paid £250 for 9 nights per room.

Coffs Harbour
Level Contributor
267 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Advice on my choice of hotels please?

The changeover from October to November is amazing. I have just booked a beachfront villa at the Chonfah for $110 AUD/night all inclusive plus 2 free nights stay with Asia Web Direct. We depart the last day of October, the next day our room more than triples.

I guess there has to be a changeover period from green season but it just shows you the value of travelling at this point.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: Advice on my choice of hotels please?

Pathologic,

Fair point but the changeover from Wet to Dry Season is fairly dramatic too, so for those of us from cool climates with often poor Summers (compared to yours!) the search for the sun comes at a price. Also tours such as to the Similan and Surin Islands start again at the beginning of November and restaurants that have closed, particularly on the beach, reopen. The same applies at the end of the Dry Season, at the end of or with some resorts/agencies mid-April , when prices fall. Again you balance the risk with the weather and the availability of tours, restaurants etc. against price.

Coffs Harbour
Level Contributor
267 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Advice on my choice of hotels please?

Totally agree Arandora. We travel at this time to escape the "cold" at the end of the Aus winter, where I live average winter days are in the low 20 degrees celcius, but to me thats cold.

As you also know its only wet season for this part of Thailand, funny how you can travel a short distance to say Koh Samui at the same time and its high season.

We generally travel at this time to other parts of Asia like Vietnam etc where its on the shoulder and always finish with a week or 2 in a resort in Thailand, Samui, Khao Lak, Krabi etc.

You must admit though that the risk of rain is worth it given the prices and that generally, it doesn't rain all day every day.

Chongfah at $110/night followed by 4 nights at Mom Tri Villa Royale in Kata at $150/night is amazing value, and when you add the Air Asia cheap flights of a couple of hundred return for 2 people it makes it a cheaper holiday than staying in a resort 5 minutes from my home.

One further digression Arandora, during your lengthy stay did you happen upon the new orphanage built by the Aus charity Hand Across the Water. Its run by a friend of mine and I can't seem to get in touch with him to pay a visit. I believe that they have just set up some type of plantation in the area to create employment. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Pathologic

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
10. Re: Advice on my choice of hotels please?

Hi Pathologic,

We didn't come across that particular charity but if you contact Ken Hyde at the Volunteers' Centre in Khao Lak through volunteerteacherthailand.org/volunteer.htm I am sure he will provide you with contact details as he is Head of English and is in touch with all schools and children charities in and around Khao Lak.

Let me know if you have more difficulties as I have plenty of contacts in Khao Lak, particularly in the voluntary sector.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak