We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La flora and nearby facilities

England
Level Contributor
171 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
La flora and nearby facilities

Hi All

Hopefully, Volcano ash permitting, we will be heading to Khao Lak in another three and a half weeks staying at the La Flora. On the first Sunday that we are there (16th May) the english football conference (Blue Square Premier) league playoff final is being televised at Wembley by Sky Sports. As there is a good chance that Luton Town will be playing in this match (and my Husband is a avid supporter, sad but true!!) I am wondering if there is a bar nearby to La Flora where this match may be shown. It is a 5.00pm kickoff so I am assuming that is 11.00pm in Khao Lak?

Also much more importantly (in my opinion anyway) would it be best for us to just take a couple of hundred £s worth of Baht initially and then use ATMs to get out more money using our debit card. If so, are there ATMs within walking distance of La Flora and are they relatively secure to use.

Thanks

Dawn

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La flora and nearby facilities

Sky Sports in Khao Lak is picked up by a South African broadcaster which focuses on Premier League, Champions League etc.There are also ESPN broadcasts and local channels but I very much doubt that your hubbie's match will be broadcast.

Use of ATMs is definitely the way to go, the best being the one located at the 711 at the top of the Bang Niang Beach Road (you will soon find it from La Flora - opposite the Police Boat) as you do not get charged the 150 baht transaction fee - and yes, they are are as secure to use as the ones in UK so long as you observe the same security precautions as you would at home.

England
Level Contributor
171 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La flora and nearby facilities

Arandora

Thanks for the reply - I havent yet told hubby that he probably will not be able to watch the match. With regard to the ATMs I found a very good map on this forum which shows the La Flora and the road leading away from the beach with all the bars, restaurants etc and I have managed to locate the ATM at the 7/11 on there so we should be able to find it easily enough. Do you or anyone else know if the La Flora provide umbrellas in the rooms as I realise that when we arrive in the middle of May it will be the beginning of the green/wet season. and I am wondering whether I should pack a couple. I remember when we went to the Maldives umbrellas were provided in the rooms so I wondered if it is the same here.

Regards

Dawn

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La flora and nearby facilities

HI Dawn

Also, check with your bank that there will be no charges for each ATM transaction. Last year I used my bank card in Thailand and only found out about the charges when I got back to the UK.

I will also be in Khao Lak in May :))

Enjoy your holiday

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La flora and nearby facilities

Irrespective of what your bank charges in UK, all Thai banks with the exception of Ayudha charges a flat rate 150 baht per withdrwal and some of their ATMs Im told charge too.

Have a look at this link for FACs about Currency in Thailand tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s601/Thailand…

England
Level Contributor
171 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La flora and nearby facilities

We do have a flex account with Nationwide but they now only allow free transactions within the EU. The current account we are planning to use, which always has a balance of less than £1000 with no overdraft limit and therefore if we did have a problem with card cloning/fraud etc it would not have such an impact, is our Halifax current account which I have just read on money expert is one of the cards from Hell with regard to foreign transactions!!. However fore-warned is fore-armed so I think we will still go with that and just limit our transactions to the ATM which doesnt charge and taking out our upper cash limit each time. It is still preferable to taking a large amount of cash out there with us.

Somewheresunny - have a great holiday, hopefuly we will both be somewhere sunny in May with any rain restricted to the nightime!!

Edited: 22 April 2010, 12:13
UK
Level Contributor
996 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La flora and nearby facilities

Re - umbrellas I am fairly certain they were provided and were in the wardrobe. Enjoy La Flora and Khao Lak.

( But hopefully you will not need them :) )

Edited: 22 April 2010, 14:38
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La flora and nearby facilities

Hello!

Im off to La Flora on the 7th May for two weeks!

Ive read the currency pages endlessly but still cant decide whats the best way to change my money! I see changing it in a Forex booth looks like a good option, but where is the closest one to La Flora or should we do this at the airport before we get our transfer!?! Help! lol

As for cards, Im with Barclays and im not sure whether it works out cheaper exchanging the money into Thai baht before we leave the UK or paying the fees to take it out of an atm in Khaolak!

I guess its going to have to be my decision at the end of the day and i think ill probably choose the easy option!

Thanks for your help!!

Lucy

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La flora and nearby facilities

Hi Lucy,

Changing money in a Forex booth is definitely NOT the best way. Either use an ATM, even if it does incur a 150 baht charge (avoid this by going inside the bank or to its currency exchange window with your debit card and passport) especially the one outside the 711 at the top of Bang Niang Beach road, which doesn't charge. Next best option for the security conscious is Travellers Cheques. Under no circumstances change money in UK before you leave.

9. Re: La flora and nearby facilities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2010, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak