We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak - Phuket Visit?

Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak - Phuket Visit?

I am staying at the Sarojin in the first week of August for 6 nights. I have managed to squeeze an extra night in to our trip. I have never been to Thiland before so considering spending 1 night down in Phuket so that we can see more of the country. Is it really worth going to Phuket for a night or am I going ot regret not spending an extra day in Khao Lak?? I am also not sure if Phuket is close enough for a "day trip"... get the impression that it is probably just too far to visit for a day excursion.

Wuuld also love to hear some other suggestions that people may have.

Edited: 18 April 2010, 06:11
Mentioned in this post
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
1,858 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak - Phuket Visit?

hi

Phuket is only just over an hour drive from Khao Lak, so i would just stay in KL for the 6 nights and get a driver for the day and do a tour of Phuket, in Phuket include: Kata view point, Karon beach, Rawai, Cape Phromthep, Big Buddah, Wat Chalong Temples and Phuket town inc Rang hill lookout, also a coastal drive through Surin, Bang tao, Kamala and Patong for some shopping, it can be done quite easy in a day, contact: Boss, e-mail: cheaperkhaolak@ymail.com he is highly recommended on this forum and he will give you a price for a day tour

we are staying in KL in Sept and using him for our transfers from Patong and a day tour to Krabi (plus some other tours that we decide to do when there) his prices are very good too

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Karon Beach
Karon Beach
5,864 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Rawai
Rawai
Phuket, Thailand
Chaithararam Temple (Wat Chalong)
Chaithararam Temple (Wat...
2,816 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket Town
Phuket Town
Phuket, Thailand
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,188 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Bang Tao Beach
Bang Tao Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Kamala
Kamala
Phuket, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak - Phuket Visit?

hi ,agree with mossie043 and would just add try and do rang hill at lunch time and eat at the tunk ka restaurant at the top of the hill really good food and stunning views.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak - Phuket Visit?

You can also rent a car in Khao Lak and drive to Phuket yourself. And yes it is very possible to do a day trip.

Enjoy The Sarojin. It is a beautiful place!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
1,858 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak - Phuket Visit?

Excellent, I will spend an extra night in Khao Lak then, and plan a day trip to Phuket. I thought the distances were a little further...must be able to drive around the entire phuket island in just a few hours then.

Any rough estimates on car hire vs hiring a driver? Not sure I am keen to drive as have heard the roads are a bit hectic with no adherence to road rules :) Maybe this applies more to Bangkok.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak - Phuket Visit?

hi

driving around Khao Lak ok but once you get into main town Phuket and surrounding areas can be a bit crazy, if your not used to it get a driver for the day and do a tour, that way you can look around and they know where to go too, Boss will be the best one, good prices and driver

also if you plan to drive over there you have to get an international drivers licence before you leave home

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Nai Yang, Thailand
Level Contributor
675 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Khao Lak - Phuket Visit?

To BenHollie

The Sarojin to the island would be an hours drive ( to the bridges )

Drive around the island in a few hours - doable as long as you do not stop, no toilet breaks, no food breaks and Stirling Moss is at the wheel ( which by the way is very probable / possible )

Also be mindful of the weather in August ( Monsoons ) and therefore the road conditions

No matter what you decide - enjoy

Mentioned in this post
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
1,858 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Khao Lak - Phuket Visit?

hi

you won't need to drive around the whole island just the sightseeing parts, but will still be a good day out, thats why its best to have a driver to take you, they know where to go and the road and weather conditions

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Khao Lak - Phuket Visit?

hi BenHollie

that driver e-mail i gave you i missed out the line its;

cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com his name is Boss

he will look after you

Perth
Level Contributor
577 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Khao Lak - Phuket Visit?

Hi BenHollie,

We will be in Khao Lak in August as well. Have been to Phuket a number of times and discovered the quiet beauty of Khao Lak in August 2009.

It depends on individual choice as Phuket (Patong) and Khao Lak in August can offer very different experiences. This year we are going to stay/party in Patong for our first 3 nights and then sleep of the hangover in Khao Lak for 2 1/2 weeks.

Phuket is worth a look if it is your first time to Thailand and depending on your tastes I would recommend staying in Patong for one night and watch all the different cultures drift past as you have a drink on Bangla Road.

In my opinion, it will be a big day to fit in all the attractions suggested into one day travelling from Khao Lak. If you are flying into and out of Thailand from Phuket, perhaps you can stay in Phuket for 1 night at either end of your stay.

Anyway enjoy, Thailand offers so many different holiday experiences for all tastes.

May see you in August.

Regards, Tanmar

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Bangla Road
Bangla Road
16,967 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
10. Re: Khao Lak - Phuket Visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2010, 11:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak