We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak Trip Report - March 2010

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak Trip Report – March 2010

Returned home last week after spending 10 days in Khao Lak and 4 days in Patong. We stayed at Cousins Resort in Bang Niang in a family room (me, my husband and 3 kids 7, 5 & 2yrs old). My parents also travelled with us and stayed in a standard bungalow which was overlooking the pool. Cousins was perfect for us and our room was plenty big to fit us all in – the family room consists of two bedrooms, two bathrooms, small kitchen type area (no cooking facilities but who needs them in Thailand!!) and a sitting area. We also had a toaster and kettle which was perfect for a quick breaky. Cousins had also included a cot for our 2yr old which we put in between the two single beds in the kids room. The kids loved this small resort and could run around with a bit of freedom and you didn't have to worry about them breaking something or annoying too many other people. Perfect price too – around Aud$120 per night. Definitely recommend this resort to anyone who is after a quiet little place with great service but not too ritzy :) Also located only a short stroll to the beach through the Sudala Resort or walk up past Ayara Resort to the quieter and nicer in my opinion northern end of Bang Niang near the Power Restaurant etc.

We did a Similan Islands tour with a company called Thapluma Andaman Tours (booked through Cousins) paid 1700baht per adult and 1000baht per child – so cheap for a great day out at this amazing place. The last stop you have is on island no.4 and this has to top my best beach that I have ever been too – water soooo clear and soft white sand. Unfortunately with 3 kids in tow didn't get to do much snorkelling but others raved about it and we did see a turtle from the boat. 1Hr 20min via speedboat and didn't feel sick at all....Well worth doing!

We were very lucky to have Alan (Arandora) and his wife Barbara staying in the bungalow next door to us and who is an absolute wealth of information when in comes to Khao Lak – I'm sure they got sick of all my questions but certainly made our holiday a better one because of them! One day we went up to Pak Weeb beach with them to Mama's restaurant and had a beautiful day on the beach and enjoying the BEST food that I had in thailand – Those prawn spring rolls and yellow chicken curry yum yum yum – also the mango shakes were so nice! Alan & Barbara also introduced us to the Sunset Bar – walk up to the Power Restaurant and cross over the little inlet and its the first Bar/restaurant you come to on the southern end of Khuk Khuk beach (pls correct me if I'm wrong Alan) This place was beautiful and was certainly a highlight of our trip. Spent a couple of days lazing away on the free sunbeds provided (buy a drink or two) and having great lunches. We were also lucky enough on our last night to go for sunset drinks and dinner with Alan & Barbara and it was one of the best nights I have ever had – amazing food and Nop the owner has an imagination with the way he presents his food that I have never seen anywhere else – he has a special talent!! Then after dinner setting of the laterns into the sky – what a way to end a holiday!!

Other places we ate were:

Chong Fah Restaurant - very nice and easy with the kids for them to run around a bit.

Coconut Grove – ok food – certainly wasn't a highlight though.

Sunny Restaurant – part of the Sudala Resort but located on the beach – good food and nice service but more expensive also.

Cousins Restaurant – good to grab the odd breakfast and satay sticks etc – cheap.

Jade's - Cute little cafe located next to Cousins on the back road - great breakfasts with yummy german type bread.

As you can see we tended to favour the beach restaurants where your feet are in the sand – can't do this where we live so thought we would make the most of it! Next time (March 2011) definitely want to head further a field and try a few more like Hill Tribes etc. We will also hire a car next time for the ease of getting to the out of the way little places like Mama's & Sunset Bar (after dark) which were the highlights of our trip.

Also we had perfect weather for our whole stay – no rain but Khao Lak was certainly in need of some. And didn't do much shopping as we were heading to Patong for the last few days where we did all our shopping.

A big big thank you to Alan (Dennis) and Barbara for putting up with us and also my kids coming to annoy you every morning and Tilly trying on all Barbara's shoes:) See you next year for longer this time!!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak Trip Report – March 2010

Thanks for a great report. Lucky you to have a KL expert staying so close!!!

I'm storing tips away for our future 1st trip to KL so always good to read specific details on where to eat, tour etc.

newcastle
Level Contributor
184 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak Trip Report – March 2010

great report! i've made a note of all your recommended restaurants as we are heading off this afternoon (if i finish packing ! ) cant wait to get there and will also do a trip report when we return.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,451 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak Trip Report – March 2010

Hi Angie an d the gang,

Thanks very much for your great JBR and for your company and friendship. Our extended Khao Lak family is now even bigger. We went to the Sunset Bar for our anniversary with English (for a change!) friends who are celebrating their Silver Wedding Anniversary tomorrow but they enjoyed it so much we are going to there on Wednesday to celebrate their's again. It really is a special place in many ways, isn't it - as, indeed, is Khao Lak.

Needless to say as soon as you left Khao Lak the rain started but as you say it was much needed. Locals say that's it, more (please, no) or less (please, yes!) until the Wet Season arrives proper in May

Went shopping in Phuket Town today (Robinson's, Ocean Plaza and Euro Markets) and Barbara got 3 more pairs of shoes so Tilly would have been in her element.

I'd love to read Em's blog if and when it becomes a Best seller and I hope you managed to get all the sand out of Max's hair!!!

Best wishes to all.See you next year - same time,same place!!!

Dennis

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak Trip Report – March 2010

Excellent reporting emjean,

I wished I could have told or warned you about Sunny restaurant...We also found this place too expensive when there are cheaper and much better restaurants around....!!??....

I am sorry you missed Hilltribes....Tho' you will do it next time...Ya can't miss it...!!...It's a must do or a must eat.....!!

I should'nt have read your report,now I really want to go....!!!

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak Trip Report – March 2010

Thanks everyone for the nice comments - we had an amazing holiday in Khao Lak and can't wait to get back next year!! sunsoaker1 - I wish I was you...lucky thing, probably in Khao Lak as we speak!! Can't wait to read your JBR. I think us Aussie's are finally starting to find a new/better alternative to Phuket in Khao Lak...I know I won't be returning to Patong now that Khao Lak has shown me it's magic!!!

Alan - glad to see your friends enjoyed Sunset Bar as much as we did (how could you not!!) and I'm very jealous that you will be back there on Wednesday night and we won't :( Tilly still speaks of "the boy" all the time...and Shane sent Nop through the photos of our night there. Em is still in the process of writing her blog but will forward it to you once it's finished and yes finally got all the sand out of max's hair, eyes, ears etc... Enjoy the last 10 days of your holiday in Khao Lak!!

Thanks cocotang - and yes will def be trying hill tribes next year and a few others too!!

Angie

6. Re: Khao Lak Trip Report – March 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2010, 10:51
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak