We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advise between Khao Lak & Koh Samui early July

tasmania
Level Contributor
393 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
advise between Khao Lak & Koh Samui early July

ok, we need help in deciding the middle part of our Thailand holiday (early July). We are spending time in Chiang Rai & chiang Mai at the beginning of our trip and have the last part booked at Indigo Pearl. It's the middle section we can't decide on. Have narrowed it to either Khao Lak or Koh Samui. Have not been to either. We are happy to pay around $140 (Aust) per night, and like good pools and if the beach is good we love walking and if possible swimming there too. Usually we have the bulk of our meals at the local small restaraunts. We do not like a hotel that prefers to cater to western food styles. We do not like Phuket/Patong, to busy, always go for area's that bit further away from the main towns. Don't need to be shopping constantly but do like to be able to buy beer & nibbles etc to have in our room. The hotels we like the look of on Trip Adv. in Khao Lak are J W Marriot & Ramada. On Koh Samui we like Rocky's & Bandara. Oh and we prefer not to be over-run with young children (we are in early 50's). Any advise appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Bandara Resort & Spa
Bandara Resort & Spa
1,975 Reviews
Bophut, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advise between Khao Lak & Koh Samui early July

Hi,

First of all it is Wet Season in Khao Lak in July (as indeed it is at Indigo Pearl in Phuket) whereas it is out of the monsoon season and July one of better months in Koh Samui.

However, bearing that in min of the two resorts you have in mind in Khao Lak, the newer JWM is on a more secluded Khuk Khak Beach than the Ramada which is on Bang Niang Beach and the local beach restaurants will probably be closed with the possible exception of the one immediately to the left on the beach. Otherwise you will need to rely on the hotel shuttle or taxis to take you into the nearby townshops of Bang Niang (10 miutes) and Bang La On (15 minutes) where you will find restaurants, bars and shops that remain open.

The Ramad ais within walking distance of some restuarants on or overlookong the beach and others on the surrounding small roads upto and on the highway. Mini-makets for your beer and nibbles nearby too.

I doubt wheter you will be overrun with children in either although there are probaly more "hiding places" at the JWM as it is a bigger resort.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khuk Khak
Khuk Khak
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advise between Khao Lak & Koh Samui early July

I suggest Koh Samui as it will be monsoon in Khao Lak. The weather is excellent on the East coast that time of year.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
los altos hills
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advise between Khao Lak & Koh Samui early July

Bophut Beach is great for swimming and strolling. Lots of restaurants in Fishermans Village,about a 10 minute walk from the hotels you are looking at. A few restaurants on the beach but most are affiliated with the hotels. Pleanty of places close by to pick up munchies. We are headed to Khao Lak for the first time next week, so cannot comment but we know it will be quiet!

Mentioned in this post
Bophut
Bophut
Ko Samui, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advise between Khao Lak & Koh Samui early July

" ... but we know it will be quiet!" - Khao Lak is quite busy at the moment and will get busier in the next couple of weeks over Easter period.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advise between Khao Lak & Koh Samui early July

Hi KhaoLakYoga,

Your nick interests me....!!??...Are you into yoga....??

I have been into yoga for 7 months and loving it...!!

If you are into yoga....??...Could you or would you know of any yoga retreats as such in Khao Lak...??...

I have contacted The Yoga Studio in Bang Niang and she has asked me to contact her again when it is closer to when I am going to Khao Lak because she is setting up retreats in certain resorts around the Khao Lak area....

Like surfing,yoga has become another lifestyle for me and my Anny....

Namaste'...!!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
6. Re: advise between Khao Lak & Koh Samui early July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2010, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak