We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nang Thong 1 or Nang Thong 2

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Nang Thong 1 or Nang Thong 2

Hi

Could anyone please tell me what exactly is the difference between Nang Thong 1 and Nang Thong 2 - website is very unclear

Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nang Thong 1 or Nang Thong 2

Nang Thong 2 is the newer of the two resorts (approx 2 years old). Bungalow styles very similar. NTBR2 is 300 metres further south along the beach, with access to the southern end of Bang La On, the main township of Khao Lak. NTBR1 is more central on Nang Thong Beach, being 300 metres down from the centre of Bang La On. NTBR1 restaurant is directly beach facing whereas NTBR2 restaurant is set back.

IMHO NTBR2 is on a better part of Nang Thong Beach.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nang Thong 1 or Nang Thong 2

Thanks for that Arandora. NTBR2 appears to be booked out for next Christmas - they are offering us NTBR1 but we have heard reports about a very smelly river!

Any idea what the Sunset is like - think it might be a good way down the beach - any idea how much further it is from Bang La On for getting into/out of at night?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nang Thong 1 or Nang Thong 2

Hi Unclepuck,

We stayed at NTBR1 last August and were not the least perturbed by the so called smelly river....I can only put it down to the fact that it was monsoon season and so the river flowed quite constantly and was a raging torrent at times when it rained which means that the creek did not have time to fester and become smelly....

We stayed in a garden bungalow which was situated next to one bungalow away from the creek....No mozzie plague and no offensive smells...!!??...

However,Christmas time could be a different story...!!??....Less rain...

Besides there are many other bungalows(garden and beach)which are far enough away from the creek,but I guess you have to get in early to score them at Christmas.....

There are also superior rooms which are not affected by the creek,which are cheaper than the beach bungalows and some upstairs rooms do have ocean views.....We are considering these rooms next time....!!

Great ocean view rooms to take in the wonderful sunsets.....!!!

NTBR2 is an extra 5-10 minute walk to the shops....But it is a flat walk mostly except for the small hill up to the shops and restaurants which you have to negotiate anyway if you stayed at either resort....

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nang Thong 1 or Nang Thong 2

Thanks Alan,.I didn't realise there was town access directly up from NTBR2...

I thought the only access was past Seaview and NTBR1 etc....??...

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nang Thong 1 or Nang Thong 2

Cocotang,

You can, or at least could, get out at the top of NTBR2 onto the highway next to the Baan Khao Lak.

Unclepuk,

I think Cocotang has summed up the "smelly river" issue very nicely. Request a room away from it, if you still want to book this resort. The Khao Lak Sunset is on Sunset Beach, which is the adjoining beach to Nang Thong Beach where the NTBR1 & 2 are situated. This is a lovely beach with just a handful of resorts on it with accommodation both on the hillside and by the beach. The Sunset is perhaps 500 metres or so further south from the NTBR2 and accommodation is in hotel rooms, all with sea view, I think, which were refurbished a year or so ago. The other resorts, the Khao Lak Resort, the Wanaburee, the Paradise, the Bay Front, the Palm Beach, the Sunset and the Baan Krating, all have bungalows too. However, there are no independent restaurants on this stretch of beach but the Muan Lai, belonging to the Baan Krating, is perched up at the top at the highway at the southern end, offering perhaps the best view of the northern coastline.

See this recent thread for information on and links to photos of the Khao Lak Resort for a member interested in that resort.

The Sunset is a 5-10 minute taxi drive into Bang La On or you can stroll down the highway (or beach during the day)

See map at http://www.khaolakmap.com/

and pics of all the beaches at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nang Thong 1 or Nang Thong 2

Thank you Arandora and cocotang for all the info - still waiting on a reply back from NT1 but we like the look and the price of the Sunset too and in the meantime we will have a look at all the others you mentioned

Can't wait!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nang Thong 1 or Nang Thong 2

arandora and cocotang

could you tell me if that "smelly river" is anywhere near Suwan Palm Resort? my son and his wife staying there in Jan for part of their honeymoon in a suite rooom, and its on Nang Thong beach, just wandering how close it is to the resort,

thanks

mossy

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nang Thong 1 or Nang Thong 2

Mossy,

First the Suwan Palm is 200 metres or more down he beach separated from the NTBR1 by the Seaview Resort.

Secondly, please don't let the term "smelly river" alarm you or your daughter. It is a run off culvert that runs through the NTBR1 but as Cocotang explained any smells will arise in periods of extreme dryness when the water has stagnated for a while and are very local. There should be no problem with this in the Suwan Palm which is adjacent to the NTBR2 on its other side.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nang Thong 1 or Nang Thong 2

ok, thanks arandora, that makes sense, just wanted to clarify, they got a good deal in Suwan Palm for that time of year so didnt want to have to change it

thankyou both for the info

it will be our first time in KL in Sept and looking forward to it, so will look at their hotel for them when we come, its their first time there too in Jan

cheers

mossy

Perth
Level Contributor
583 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nang Thong 1 or Nang Thong 2

Hi to All,

Sorry we are a bit late on the discussion. We stayed at the NTBR1 at the same time as Cocotang last year and endorse comments by Cocotang and Arandora. Nothing nicer than having breakfast at the NTBR1 restaurant and watching the fish in the "creek".

Just for interest, we are splitting our time between the NTBR1 an 2 in August this year. Would throughly recommend both resorts. It is an easy walk to town from both.

Regards, Tanmar

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations