We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak Resort Hotel

greenwich
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Khao Lak Resort Hotel

Hi,

Can anyone let me know if they've stayed at this hotel recently and what they thought of it. In particular I'd like to find out what the superior rooms in the main part of the hotel are like.

On paper the hotel seems to fit a lot of our criteria in terms of location, setting, price etc but I know there are some mixed reviews about the rooms in the main part of the hotel. I know we could upgrade to one of the villa type rooms nearer the pool/sea but we actually quite like being on a higher floor if you get a nice view (ideally sea view) and privacy from your balcony. Although the other rooms are no doubt nicer I'm a bit concerned, from past experience at other resorts, that you may have less privacy if you are on ground level. Anyone who knows this hotel maybe able to advise?

Alternatively, if anyone has any other suggesstions of hotels in a similar price bracket that might suit our needs that would be great. Our main criteria would be a 3-4 star hotel in a picturesque setting, reasonablly close to local restaurants, amenities although we don't mind being a bit 'out of town' if you can jump in a taxi/tuk-tuk and not have to travel too far. Ideally we'd like a decent standard of room with balcony/terrace that offers nice views of some description. We are less concerned with direct beach access and would prefer maybe jungle/hillside setting with views if such a place exists!

Thanks!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Khao Lak Resort Hotel

We've not stayed at the KL Resort but have visited there a number of times and, in fact, will be having lunch there on Sunday. Walking down from Reception the Superior Rooms are indeed in "woody" settings and I can imagine being a bit gloomy and possibly buggy. It's a large resort with plenty of room around all accommodation types. I don't particularly think the villa types are any more lacking in privacy than anywhere else.

The Paradise Resort, just up is a lovely smaller resort but more pricy. The nearby Palm Beach is probably in same price range as the KL Resort. From your pont of view resorts on Sunset Beach as they are set on the hillside from the Highway to the beach have a mix of hillside and beach accommodation. The furthest up this beach, the Baan Krating has accommodation spread out amongstb the trees with views down and across the coast but no beach to speak of.

greenwich
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Khao Lak Resort Hotel

That's really helpful thank you. I'm going to do a bit of research into the other hotels you mentioned and take it from there. Enjoy your lunch at the Khao Lak resort and if you spot anything good or bad that may be of help please let me know!

Many Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Khao Lak Resort Hotel

Hi Nicki,

We had a very nice lunch directly overlooking the beach and then wandered around the resort, taking pictures as we went. There are 4 blocks of Superior Rooms on 3 levels down to pool side with ground floor and first floor rooms, all sea facing, all with furnished terraces. The blocks looked weather worn as you would expect due to their exposed setting. It was also VERY hot at the higher levels away from the cooling sea breezes.

It is a long resort with inter-connecting pools with deluxe rooms/villas either side of them. The beach front villas with their own small jacuzzi/pool are very large and, in fact, are going to be divided into two separate bungalows during the Wet Season. Sorry, didn't get chance to look inside.

The pics are in an album at picasaweb.google.com/Arandora/KhaoLakResort…

Sorry about the quality of the last few as my camera battery died on me so I used my mobile phone cam for some.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
28 posts
187 reviews
4. Re: Khao Lak Resort Hotel

Hi, just to add my two bobs worth,

Recently stayed at Khao Lak Laguna and absolutely loved it. Just in the area you mention a short walk to the town with many great restaurants and it's right on a beautiful part of the beach. We were upgraded to a beach bungalow - very palatial - but they also have beautiful standard rooms in two other wings. The website prices are expensive but we tracked down an unbelievable 1400 Baht per night price on Agoda.

Check it out and good luck

greenwich
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Khao Lak Resort Hotel

Thanks so much for taking the time to take and send me your photographs- they're great. I'm getting a much better idea of what may and may not be suitable now! I'm carrying on with the research and may come back with the occasional question if that's OK!

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Khao Lak Resort Hotel

We stayed at KL resort early last year. We were not impressed with the main building rooms at all. In fact our friends had booked one and lasted 5 minutes. The 'bungalows' are pretty good but not much privacy. Due to problems we were 'upgraded to the front villas. These are very impressive, though I don't think I would pay the price they ask for them. We would not return here due to the beach and the rooms. Think you are wise to look elsewhere.

7. Re: Khao Lak Resort Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2010, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak