We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting my facts straight..

Perth
Level Contributor
139 posts
4 reviews
Getting my facts straight..

I'm heading to Khao Lak in October. I know the National parks(islands) will be closed until November.

What I wanted to know is if the Similans are closed, are there companies that will allow snorkelling off a speed boat, weather pending, without landing on shore?

I'm just trying to work out if we should just leave our snorkelling for when we visit Krabi and Ko Lanta..

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Getting my facts straight..

Yes there are tours that go out with snorkelling from the boat but departures will depend on the vagaries of very uncertain weather so be prepared for postponements or cancellations. Try at the begiining of your stay to allow for a better chance later.

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Getting my facts straight..

hi,was in khao lak october 2009 and the similans opened in the last week of october but plenty of trips available prior to the official opening but,as arandora has said it will be determined by the weather.

nb1

Perth
Level Contributor
139 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Getting my facts straight..

Excellent. Thank you both for your replies.

Now I can stop wondering!

Newquay, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Getting my facts straight..

Could anyone tell me how much I should expect to pay for a decent snorkelling trip please?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Getting my facts straight..

Prices for the Similans are very competitive at the moment and have been since we arrived in December. Last year typically price was about 2400 baht per adult, at the moment you can go for 1700 baht and 1000 baht for kids. This is or pick up and return to your resort to pier at Tab Lamu, about 20 minutes away (plus time for picking up/dropping off others on same tour). Ruk Talay picks up and drops off at your resort but departs from the beach at Pakarang just up the coast so a bit quicker transfer time. Speedboat to Similans is about same at about 75 minutes.

Most operators use agents for booking so plenty about.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Getting my facts straight..

Hi there, was just wondering if anyone had been on the speedboat trip to Similan Islands in early May. We will be there 6-10 May. I realise that the islands are closed not long after this. Will it depend on the weather, and is it safe at that time of year?

Cheers

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Getting my facts straight..

During those dates the National Park will still be open but it will depend entirely on the weather on the day as to whether tours operate. If it is not safe the tours will not go. The boat skippers have access to modern equipment and are in touch with weather conditions both actual and forecast before they set out.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: Getting my facts straight..

Hi, we went out to the Similans on Friday, as Arandora says they are very safety conscious. Even at this time of year the company made it clear that the trip was weather dependant and if not suitable they wouldn't go. Having gone on quite a few similar trips elsewhere in Thailand I was impressed by the counting of heads off and on the boat etc. which sounds pretty obvious but doesn't always happen.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: Getting my facts straight..

Hi hotweatherhopeful

Would you mind telling me how much you paid and who you want with.

Cheers

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
10. Re: Getting my facts straight..

We paid 1800 baht per adult for Fantastic Similan which is a pretty typical price for any tour to Similans at the moment.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak