We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June-July Family Holiday

Melbourne
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
June-July Family Holiday

We have booked our flights to KL for 10 days in June-July this year. Our children are 10 and 6 years old, are good swimmers and we all love the water - Australians!!.

Where should we stay? We want to be able to swim at the beach and in the resort and want to be able to walk (or taxi cheaply & easily) to nearby shops and restaurants

We loved the idea of the JWM with its pool access rooms, but they won't guarantee interconnecting rooms and we're think that's too risky.

I hear good things about Ramada and La Flora. Some of the pics for Ramada look a bit soul-less and the La Flora pool access rooms look very exposed and close to other rooms. Is that the case? I get the feeling the Merlin and Le Meridien are a bit too far from the local eateries and shops, especially at that quiet time of year.

Please help with any suggestions for interconnecting rooms or affordable 2 bedroom suites. We would rather not all be in the one room.

Can't wait to hear from seasoned 'trip advisors'!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: June-July Family Holiday

First of all I am sure you realise that you will be arriving in the Wet Season and although there will be mostly sun and likely rain in the afternoon, the ocean conditions will be mostly rough, with tides and currents to contend with and no lifeguards. So good pool swimming is advisable and you have identified the two resorts with the best pools, the JWM and Le Meridien. Both are on great stretches of beach, the JWM on Khuk Khak which even in the Dry Season is wilder than the Le M on the more sheltered Pak Weeb Beach. At the time you are thinking of local beach restaurants will probably be closed because of beach conditions so at both you would rely on shuttle or taxi to Bang Niang (about 10 minutes) or Bang La On (15 minutes) to reach restaurants, shops and bars that remain open. If you chose the Ramada (pseudo-Japanese rather than soul-less but I understand what you say) it is a really nice resort on a great stretch of Bang Niang Beach, next door to La Flora, so easy access to beach and on road restaurants and shops for both f these.

I really cannot believe the JWM can't guarantee a connecting room at that time of year. I think that if that is your resort of choice an Email to the General Manager along the lines "connecting rooms or no reservation" may be productive!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: June-July Family Holiday

Thanks so much for your helpful advice.

I forgot to mention the Merlin hotel in my first post. What do people think of that compared to Ramada, La Flora, JW Marriott & Le Meridien?

I guess we're trying to work out the best combination of hotel & facilities/nice beach etc for our holiday with children aged 6 & 11.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: June-July Family Holiday

The venerable Merlin is one of Khao Lak's oldest and established resorts. Some would say it is in need of a refurb but it remains highly popular and has one of the highest occupancy rates of all resorts in Khao Lak in the Wet Season. The pool access rooms in particular are highly recdommended.

and thee are good children's facilities.

It is located on Khao Lak (South) Beach, the first beach you reach coming from Phuket. This is a lovely bay enclosed on one side and continuing to the deloghtful Popseidon Beach on the other. There are only a handful of resorts on this stretch with a promenade along the beach connecting them. There are a few local restaurants nearby, notably Jo Seafood, a Pizzseria and a couple more up on the highway. There are frequent taxis over the mountain to Bang La On, a ride of about 10 minutes.

It is certainly up there for consideration with others on your short list. It might boil down at the end of the day to the best deal you can get for accommodation.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: June-July Family Holiday

hi

we are staying at the Merlin in Sept, also wet season, but that doesnt bother us too much, have only ever been to Thailand between May and Sept, most rain overnight and few heavy showers some days but still lots of sunshine, been May June and sept and didnt find too much difference

we chose Merlin because we stay at Merlin Beach in Phuket which is fantastic and felt comfortable with MB in Khao Lak, we are having the pool access room, but they do family suites and villas which might suit you and their delux rooms are 52sq mt, so you could request connecting rooms of those too, nice pool areas and beach

we don't mind a short taxi ride to shops and there are a few resturants on the road we can use too

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
5. Re: June-July Family Holiday

Please be ever so mindful that June/July is the monsoon season and the waves can get quite rough....Even when the swell is small,(1-2 feet)many rips and currents abound....

So,what I am saying is: Even the strongest of swimmers can get into strife in a Thailand rip.....And as Arandora states:..There are no lifeguards to help you...!!

My intention was to return to Khao Lak this June...However,I have been inforned by local surfers in Khao Lak that last June was the worst month as it rained extensively,high winds and overcast almost all of June....Altho' not saying that the same will happen this June....

Have fun....!!!

6. Re: June-July Family Holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2010, 09:51
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak