We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

liveaboard similian...anyone have a review of this boat

new york
Level Contributor
111 posts
5 reviews
liveaboard similian...anyone have a review of this boat

Hi I am planning on booking a liveaboard for 2 nights April 9 to 11 to similian islands. Only a few choices for the short time and I don't want a stationary boat like siam. Does anyone have any information on Octavia or know how to contact the owners? I am a new diver and will be getting advanced open water cert. on boat, so safety is huge concern, will be with husband, but he doesn't dive.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: liveaboard similian...anyone have a review of this boat

Do you know the nameof the Dive Centre that operates this boat? You will find a comprehensive list of Dive Centres on this German (with links to websites in English) website that you could contact for furtherb assistance http://www.mykhaolak.de/divecenter.html

new york
Level Contributor
111 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: liveaboard similian...anyone have a review of this boat

hey thanks for reply...i don't know what dive shop it operates out of, only a website that books all the liveaboards. i have looked on that site from your old forum posts, I know a few that it is not. I know the owners of the boat sail with the boat and i believe they are german, but i wanted some more info, just because it is a new boat to the area

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: liveaboard similian...anyone have a review of this boat

I understand from a German friend locally that Octavia was operated last season by Liquid-Adventure but according to their website at liquid-adventure.com/diving-khao-lak/liveabo… it is not listed as one of the boats they are currently using. If you are adamant this is the boat you want perhaps they will tell you who is now operating it.

usa
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
4. Re: liveaboard similian...anyone have a review of this boat

Thanks for the help...maybe liquid adventure can update me.

Copenhagen
10 posts
5. Re: liveaboard similian...anyone have a review of this boat

I think it might be the M/V Oktavia you mean?

They have a website here www.oktavia.com/en/

I believe the owners are swedish, and is on the boat most of the time.

there's also a video :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhpTt6SiM-E

I don't work for them, but I am planning on spending a lot of time there, doing my divemaster :)

new york
Level Contributor
111 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: liveaboard similian...anyone have a review of this boat

Thanks so much, yes that is exactly the boat...what dive shop are they with and yes swedish not german. I guess you would recommend them if you are diving with them. I am a new diver only certification dives so far and plan to do advanced open water on the liveaboard. I will try to contact them through that web site...how is the boat and crew? I am concerned since I am really inexperienced and am diving without my husband. Glad to hear you know of boat and crew.

Copenhagen
10 posts
7. Re: liveaboard similian...anyone have a review of this boat

I haven't actually dived with them yet, I have never been to Thailand before :)

But I have written with Karin from M/V Oktavia, she's danish, so am I.

It seems to be nice boat, also for people not diving :)

They don't run a diveshop but only the boat.

Regards

TJMacGyver

new york
Level Contributor
111 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: liveaboard similian...anyone have a review of this boat

Thank you I found their site. I feel a bit hesitant because the are not as well known as the other boats and I am such an inexperienced diver, but I guess I need to just go for it. How did you come upon that boat?

Copenhagen
10 posts
9. Re: liveaboard similian...anyone have a review of this boat

I wrote to a girl on a danish divers-forum, asking advice on where to dive in Thailand, and she was manager or something for the boat.

I have chosen to go and spend almost 2 months on their boat, so I really hope that they're good :)

The main reason is that they don't have diveshop, and therefore I will be able to spend most of my divemaster trainee-time on the boat, which means a lot of diving, hopefully :) Whereas most of the other diveshops, I have been in contact with, only takes you out on about 2-3 liveaboard trips. Also the diveseason at the Similans ends in late April, so if I went to Koh Tao to do my courses instead, I would miss out on the Similans, as I leave Thailand before the season starts up again.

From what she have written to me, and what little information I have been able to find on the internet about their operation, it seems to be a nice boat with a relaxed atmosphere. And I'm looking forward going there in about 2 weeks :)

Fujairah, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
10. Re: liveaboard similian...anyone have a review of this boat

Hi there,

thanks Thomas :D Not sure if it's appropriate that I answer, but let me just tell you that the boat has been operating several years - this is just the first year that we have our own/direct booking office.

We do indeed always have both divers and non-divers on the boat, snorkelers have their own guides etc. You're welcome to email me for more information: karin@mvoktavia.com

Thanks