We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak in November

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak in November

Hi,

My partner and I are planning a side trip from Hong Kong in mid November for a week. We were in Khao Lak back in Nov 07 and stayed at the Baan Khao Lak. Initial thoughts are:

The flight lands at 2230 I think, I take it there won't be a problem with us arranging for a taxi to drive to Khao Lak at that time of night?

Aside from Baan Khao Lak, can anyone suggest anywhere around about there for say £60 a night max? We got a good deal last time round for only £40 a night but suspect prices have gone up and poor exchange rate means we have to up the budget. I liked being within walking distance of the main drag for eating out etc

We did a 2 night kayak/bird watching trip with Paddle Asia in Khao Sok back then. Is there anything similar that we can do that anyone can recommend, maybe just one night away? Small groups preferably. And maybe not quite so far away....Or a good snorkelling trip? We did one last time but found the snorkelling time pretty limited. Unfortunately we're not divers although I wish I was! Oh, has anyone cycled there? Are there places we can hire bicycles from or cycle tours?

Sorry, just a few random questions for now. Have to pay for that HK flight first and hope Air Asia release their flights soon...

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Baan Karon Resort
Baan Karon Resort
157 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak in November

Hi,

Have a look at this site for an idea of current prices and the different resorts and hotels

www.khaolak.de

Some hotels will have cycle hire but if not the Green Biking Club in Bang Niang will deliver a cycle to your hotel prices around 200B per day if you contact them they will give you current prices.

www.greenbikingclub.com

Khao Lak is a lovely area to cycle around and i always hire and bike all over

Julie

Mentioned in this post
The Green Biking Club
The Green Biking Club
54 Reviews
Khuk Khak, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,410 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak in November

Khao Lak Seafood rents mountain bikes for 30 baht/hour or 100 baht/day.

You will have no problem getting to Khao Lak at that time either by a taxi at about 1500 baht from the tiket booth outside Arrivals at the airport or book through Boss at Cheaper than Hotel Taxis for 1000 baht in good, reliable vehicles at cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com

You might strugglev to get a resort like the Baan Khao Lak at 3000 baht a night but the nearby Nang Thong Bay Resort would fit that budget and give you the access to the "main drag" that you want. It's a very popular resort though, especially with return visitors, so an early enquiry direct or through its agent at khaolak.de is advisable.

If you haven't visited Khao Sok or the Rachaphrapha Reservoir/Cheow Lan Lake with an ovenight in a tree house at Khao Sok or a floating raft house on the lake then that is very much worth thinking about. Have a look at Khao Sok explorer at khao-sok-explorer.e-monsite.com/accueil.html or Khao Lak Land Discovery at www.khaolaklanddiscovery.com/bookings.php or Limestone Lake Tours at http://www.limestonelaketours.com/ for more information.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Cheaper than Hotel Taxis
Cheaper than Hotel Taxis
1,008 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Nang Thong Bay Resort
Nang Thong Bay Resort
306 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Khao Lak Land Discovery
Khao Lak Land Discovery
681 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak in November

Thanks Julie and Alan. Good news on the bike front, think we might like to just hire bikes and head off on our own but I'll have a look at the website to see if there are any tours that take our fancy. I think I will also need to reassess our budget, perhaps I was being too optimistic about what we could get for £60, and I would like it to be quite a nice hotel.

I was being silly about the roads at night, think I had it in my head when we were in Cambodia that we shouldn't travel at night. Since it's okay, once we get the flights/hotel booked up I'll get in touch with the taxi guy and pre-arrange something.

Will no doubt post more questions in due course but will do some hard work on it in the meantime. Thankfully got some months to go yet.

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
4. Re: Khao Lak in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2010, 11:45
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak