We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel and similan diving

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
17 reviews
hotel and similan diving

I would like to book 1 week in Khao Lak, nice hotel close to local eateries, with the opportunity to book 3 day liveaboard to similan for diving within that week, also airport pickup,. any suggestions

Thanks

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,139 posts
92 reviews
1. Re: hotel and similan diving

Hi Buckle

I stayed at Khao Lak Seafood, and did a Poseidon liveaboard (snorkeling) to the Similans last month, totally amazing! Of course they also do scuba.

Here's the site

http://www.similantour.com/similan.html

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: hotel and similan diving

What are your dates and what budget for accommodation? Plenty of opportunities to book liveaboards locally and you can book transfer from Phuket Airport for 100 baht with Boss at Cheaper than Hotel Taxis at cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: hotel and similan diving

Thanks for that

It will be sometime next feb, as part of round the world trip - medium range hotel, would ideally like to get it all booked before going.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: hotel and similan diving

An idea of £ per night would be really helpful as there is a big range of accommodation at various rates. Also location - near/on the beach. Near restaurants, bars etc.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: hotel and similan diving

Have no idea what price range is, as we have not been to that part before, not luxury hotel and not backpacker type accom . average hotels as per tour operator brochure 3/4 star I think.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: hotel and similan diving

I'm really asking how much you want/can afford to pay per night then we can advise what accommodation you can expect for that price and what locations.

Have a look here to give you some more information about Khao Lak and acccommodation through one on-line agency http://www.khaolaklovers.com/ or German site (booking in English) http://khaolak.de/khaolakbeach/home.htm

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,139 posts
92 reviews
7. Re: hotel and similan diving

I found the southern isles very pricey at that time of year, you'll be looking at 1200 baht at least for decent, very basic digs. For "medium range" you're looking at 200 or over. Want something beachfront and you 'll have to pay a lot more. I also found it a pain in the neck to get around, hardly any moto guys, and the transport was expensive everytime you wanted to go out.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: hotel and similan diving

Not being a southern isle, the last reply doesnot really reflect the situation in Khao Lak, particularly in terms of getting around.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,139 posts
92 reviews
9. Re: hotel and similan diving

I was on Khao Lak as well as the southern isles, and found Khao lak to be more expensive than the other destinations. Getting around was much easier in other places, even on Koh Jum...

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: hotel and similan diving

Thanks for all input,#

If I am correct , approx 53 Baht to the £, am happy to pay up to £50 per night. dont really need to "get around too much, if we can have a few days on a liveaboard and walk to local eateries, in a reasonable area, Is that do-able

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak