We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free

Wiltshire
7 posts
1 review
Duty Free

We are travelling to Khao Lak in early February for 18 nights at Le Meridien. This is our first trip to Khao Lak and most of our questions have been answered on this fantastic forum!

The one thing I am unsure of is whether I can buy Duty Free liquids at Heathrow and then take them via Bangkok onto the internal flight down to Phuket? The last thing I want is to spend a fortune and then see it all confiscated!

Hoping that someone out there can advise.

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Duty Free

hi,really do not see a problem as long as the bag is kept sealed/unopened until arrival at phuket airport.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Duty Free

I agree with Norwichblue, but given you are only allowed 1 litre of spirits per person into Thailand (rigorously enforced), you may consider two other options:

Buy your preferred spirits at home in the supermarket (probaly as cheap if not cheaper than Duty Free) and pack in your suitcase, if you can spare the weight.

Buy your Duty Free on arrival at Bangkok on the way from your aircraft to Luggage Collection, if your luggage is not checked all the way to Phuket, or Transit if it is. Again prices not too dissimilar.

Both will avoid any doubt about confiscation and be more manageable.

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
1 review
3. Re: Duty Free

If you purchased at Heathrow you would need to put your duty free into your checked in luggage. I believe it would be confiscated at Bangkok if you carried it in your hand baggage, even if it is sealed.

Follow Arandora's good advice.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Duty Free

It shouldn't be but it has been known! When we transferred to AirAsia we took no chances and put our 2 bottles in our suitcases before checking in with AirAsia.

Bangkok, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,838 posts
71 reviews
5. Re: Duty Free

Hi,

Just to clarify one point on the liquor allowance.. It is ONE LITER (not one bottle, or one 6-pack, or other), is regardless of the contents (beer, wine, etc.) and is PER person.

Also it is REGARDLESS of where you bought or acquired the liquor outside of Thailand. In other-words you EACH cannot bring one liter a piece from home AND other one liter a piece from duty free.

Some people mistakenly believe the limit is for only duty-free, it is not. It is for ANY liquor acquired anywhere outside of Thailand and not already tax-paid with Revenue stamp/seal applied.

Travel Safe,

Wiltshire
7 posts
1 review
6. Re: Duty Free

Thanks everyone. It is noticable that you all assumed that I was talking about bottles of spirits and allowances for that!! Can't imagine why?!?

We may well want to pick up a bottle of something, but my main concern is the ban on liquids in hand luggage. I don't want to lose any perfume/ cosmetics that I may buy when we change planes in Bangkok. I think our luggage will be checked through as we are flying all the way with Thai, so there will be no opportunity to put purchases in checked luggage.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Duty Free

We did exactly the same trip last February. I had bought a 200ml bottle of after shave at LHR.

On the security check at BKK to get the domestic flight it was confiscated. Fortunately we were travelling in First Class so I took the bottle back to the Royal Orchid lounge and they mailed it on to our hotel where it arrived 3 days later.

No one had asked at LHR if we had a connecting flight. Maybe it would have gone into a sealed bag if they had or maybe they just wouldn't have sold it to us in the first place.

Lincolnshire, Uk
Level Contributor
71 posts
63 reviews
8. Re: Duty Free

Talking about taking Duty Free alcohol into Thiland, is it more expensive to buy spirits in Thiland and are named brands available locally?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: Duty Free

Imported spirits are heavily taxed and are therefore more expensive but you can get named brands, Gordon's Gin, Johny Walker Red & Black Label Whisky, Chivas Regal Whisky (1099 baht for 1 litre, Tesco Phuket), Smirnoff Vodka, for instance. You can also get lesser well known imported brands that are cheaper e.g. Larios Gin for 360 baht for 70cc bottle

Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
18 posts
30 reviews
10. Re: Duty Free

Hi - On the topic of 'liqour', no mention of buying wine locally in KL. Is it freely available and what is the cost of a bottle? We're staying in La Flora...Thanks!